Alex Jones tries to use Vimeo to host his videos, but Vimeo dumps him

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/13/alex-jones-tries-to-use-vimeo.html

10 Likes

Speaking of Jones… I’d forgotten that he was in 2 of Linklater’s films:

13 Likes

Jon Ronson (who once snuck into Bohemian Grove with Jones and came away with a radically different interpretation of what they saw there) said it was a lot easier to laugh at his shenanigans in the pre-9/11 days.

9 Likes

Doesn’t he have his own website that he post to without risk of banishment? I don’t run a media empire. Are third party hosting and social media sites necessary to the process?

5 Likes

Yeah, as I’ve gone on record here before, he seemed…

…different, then (@Brainspore, yes, that was pre-9/11).

4 Likes

He’s not wrong.

It’s likely a case of follow the money. Being a right wing radical is likely incredibly lucrative right now.

9 Likes

Good.

5 Likes

It would be nice if the fact that the only people that will play with him are real fascists brought about some kind of epiphany. A moment of self-awareness, that he’s not funny or clever anymore, just hateful and terrifying. Too much to ask?

6 Likes

I’m sure a web-designer person can better answer, but there’s lots of advantages to these existing, free video-hosting sites… The biggest is the audience… Without that, Jones would just be getting his core users who navigate to his site and none of the you-tube algorithm click-through mojo.

On the technical end, I think serving video from your own server is very complex and costly, which is why most companies use dedicated video hosts (like wistia or similar)… Someone who knows more about this stuff can probably say for sure, but I think delivering all the data in hundreds of videos to viewers around the world demands robust and diffused hosting, much more than a standard web-page.

7 Likes

Bandwidth is not free. And he can make money on youtube, Vimeo, etc. while getting free hosting.

11 Likes

Years ago, right here on boing boing there was a linked interview of Mike Judge by Jones. IIRC, Judge’s take was similar. Still funny?

ETA: Found it. Video link is appropriately dead.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Social media sites are a marketing tool for him to draw attention to his poisonous crazy juice.

The Infowars site is video heavy and relatively high-traffic so he needs some sort of content distribution network, which functionality YouTube and Vimeo provided along with promotion and marketing. He’d just throw up (or, if you like, vomit) a video onto YouTube, embed it on his site, and the video would be delivered efficiently around the globe at no cost to him. I’m sure he had the same plans for Vimeo [smallest violin gif here].

His next stop will probably be a CDN infrastructure company like Akamai or Amazon Cloudfront (criticised recently for hosting other nasty content). These will cost him more money than YT or Vimeo did and won’t offer promotional value but may be looser in their content restrictions since they don’t run customer-facing sites of their own. If they turn him down he’ll move on to Russian CDN companies.

11 Likes

I found this other platform that seems pretty cool and I hear lot of the kids are using it.

12 Likes

com-gifdddd-to-mp4

12 Likes

Yup.
Some people either don’t have self awareness (dRumpf?) or bury it deeply, gibbering in a tiny compartment at the bottom of their psyche.

2 Likes
5 Likes
1 Like

This is especially true of streaming video.

3 Likes

32 Likes