Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: abolish Columbus Day, replace it with Voting Day

What’s your point?

He’s wrong. Voting holidays are rare.

I think it’s a lot more likely that it’ll be mostly like Columbus day – mostly a bank holiday that very few people get off at all. Considering the fact that most states already require time to be given off for voting, a voting holiday is a waste of time.

If you really want to help, move voting to a weekend and keep the doors open all 48 hours. Holding it on a tuesday is incredibly stupid.

2 Likes

So, I’ve just got to ask, then, are you disappointed?

1 Like

Non sequitur. I didn’t say anything about her or her ideas.

I believe federal law already requires employers must give you appropriate time off to vote (or maybe it’s just state law in CA?)

Vote By Mail, the way that Oregon and Washington do it, would solve a hell of a lot of problems.

The expense of running polling places could be used to make ballot mailers postage-paid.

4 Likes

…political editor David Martosko, who tweeted that “AOC hasn’t even started the job yet and she’s already angling for more vacation days…”

In suggesting that a person of Latino descent is lazy, Martosko is alluding to stereotypes. He’s making just about the laziest and lowest-content zing you could imagine.

7 Likes

Agreed. Why does it even have to be a day. It could be a week. And why is there such a mad rush to tally the votes. That, too, seems to cause confusion and errors. How about universal vote by mail with a minimum of 1 week turn around from receiving a ballot to the postmark of the return, and give the tallying apparatus a week to send returns. Way less stress and drama about, did this person get some advantage over the other, time for court challenges over things like the stupid perfect match signature registration crap to settle, and just way less drama overall.

The media would hate it.

5 Likes

Excellent idea!

Every eligible voter in Canada must be given 4 hours of open polls time to vote during federal elections. If your workday runs until 6:00PM and the polls are open from 8:00AM - 8:00PM, you take from 8:00AM - 12:00 noon or you can leave work at 4:00PM to vote.

Not so much “hero-worship”, I have never considered Veterans Day in that manner, for me, it has always been about respect for those that have served, never in a celebratory manner. To me, it is also more about the individuals that sacrifice, than any ideologies.

LMAO I love her!

If this doesn’t piss off the alt right/redneck/hillbilly/trumpster-fire crowd I dont know what will.

I can’t wait to hear the completely incoherent rants as the dRumpf-ettes attempt to explain why we we should honor Columbus with a holiday. Do the care about Columbus? Nope. Will they hate anything proposed by AOC? Oh yeah.

Good thing nobody has to work on the weekend, right?

1 Like

Maybe so, maybe so. But that is our prerogative as citizens. The point is to make sure that each and every citizen has the opportunity to vote. It seems to me that establishing a holiday specifically meant for voting would do more to increase turnout that just about any other method. On Thanksgiving, we gather with family. On Fourth of July, we grill hot dogs and risk our fingers with fireworks and beer. On Voting Day, we vote. Beer optional.

2 Likes

Those are all good points, but you missed something:

The above is only the most common of the various ways that not having real ballot secrecy can be a problem.

Personally, I think absentee should be only with an excuse. On the other hand, there should be lots of early voting, and we need to both move election day to 2 days on the weekend and make it a national holiday. Turning paid time off to vote into a national standard would also help immensely.

3 Likes

AOC still on a roll:

15 Likes

I am not a fan of Columbus and well understand why people are opposed to Columbus Day. However recognition of the contribution Italians and Italian-American have made to world civilization and American culture is well warranted and necessary. The fact that every attempt to end Columbus day strives to strip Italian Americans of any trace of their existence is deeply racist, particularly in light of our history in this nation. It’s never said “Let’s change Columbus Day to Enrico Fermi day or Fiorello LaGuardia day, or Amerigo Vespucci Day or Giuseppe Garibaldi Day or John Fante Day or Robert DeNiro Day”. All we Italians get to hear is “Let’s wipe out any evidence that Italians ever existed at all here.”

1 Like

Being rude is not good for you or anyone else, and will not make you magically right or interesting, do some research.

1 Like

Lots of people do, but more people have to work during the week. You may as well start with a day that a lot of people already have off, so that perfect isn’t the enemy of better.

1 Like