Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: abolish Columbus Day, replace it with Voting Day

If you really want to play Oppression Olympics here you’ll need a better opening move than this one

15 Likes

This is true. But there are many businesses-- especially those where lower-income workers are, like retailers, grocery stores, gas stations-- that are open seven days a week, if not 24-7. So even on a weekend, they are unlikely to be given a day off to vote-- and lower-income people are the ones who need representation the most. And, as pointed out above, not every state requires workers to get time off to vote. So while a voting holiday is a nice thought, it really doesn’t go far enough. And feel free to scoff, but as someone who’s worked a few retail jobs, I had to work many, many holidays while most people were out enjoying themselves… so I know what I’m talking about.

6 Likes

Io non capisco per quale motivo negli Stati Uniti di America sia partita questa campagna contro Cristoforo Colombo. Dagli Italiani viene vista con molto stupore, visto ache che i promotori non sono di solito indiani d’America, ma discendenti di migranti.

Per le votazioni, se si volesse incrementare la partecipazione basterebbe aprire i seggi alla domenica ed al sabato mattina, come si faceva una volta in Italia.

It is not unreasonable or surprising for people to object to the veneration of a genocidal rapist, even if those people were not the direct targets of the offence themselves. Columbus was utter scum.

To quote a bit of Howard Zinn:

&

He also never set foot in North America, and has only a tangential connection to the USA.

If folks want an Italian-American to celebrate, try this one:

12 Likes

it could be the hideous genocide he was party to, it could be the 500+ years of oppression and exploitation his arrival started off. there are better people we could celebrate. i’ve favored bartolome’ ever since i read about him. here’s a condensed version–

12 Likes

State law, but in lots of states.

In New York, for instance, you have a right to enough time off that you have 4 uninterrupted free hours while the polls are open (6am-9pm in New York) in which to vote. If that time off is 2 hours or less and at the start or end of your shift, it’s paid.

Got my vote!
But my latest reason why I love her: She did not sign that letter (allegedly) committing to voting against Pelosi for Speaker. (Reasons why that’s the right thing are more than I can go into at the moment. Sorry.)

1 Like

Putting polling places in the mall, where the people are, would also help.

And your source…?

1 Like

[quote=“J.E_D_Ulisse, post:58, topic:133486”]
The fact that every attempt to end Columbus day strives to strip Italian Americans of any trace of their existence
[/quote]…

Citation needed.

4 Likes

Oh, come now. America is a nice Italian name.

So you’re accusing all Italian-Americans of having horrible hearing?

7 Likes

That’s not the goal, the goal is not celebrate a guy who engaged in a brutal ethnic cleansing. given that so many Americans DO have italian heritage, I sincerely doubt that 's the goal of a shift away from Columbus day. Besides, Columbus would not have identified as Italian, but most likely Genoese, since a national entity known as Italy didn’t exist in the 15th century. it was a bunch of city-states and wasn’t a unifed nation-state until the 19th century. No one is attacking Italians. No one. No one is attempting to claim they don’t exist, that’s just silly.

14 Likes

To be fair, not for many people who work in retail or other service industries. And that’s increasingly not true for people who work remotely, who are expected to be on call 24/7.

4 Likes

That is one helluva a conclusion to ‘jump to’…

8 Likes

Won’t somebody think of the Italians??

4 Likes

7 Likes

sopranos-tony-fuckin-internet|nullxnull

4 Likes

4 Likes
12 Likes