Here is a thing you can do to help eligible voters vote in 2020

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/19/here-is-a-thing-you-can-do-to.html

Help a disadvantaged fellow American obtain an ID to get a job, a safe place to live, and so they can vote.

12 Likes

National Voter Day? Yes, replace that archaic Columbus Day with the National Voter Day. So say I, again, right now.

13 Likes

I appreciate the practicality of this, but I think one of the great things about the US is that you don’t have to have ID.

So, help a disadvantaged American get an ID, and encourage an advantaged American to refuse to carry/show theirs.

2 Likes

You do need to have a place to live in order to register though. And it’s difficult to get a permanent residence without a job, which in turn is difficult to get without an ID.

6 Likes

With SCOTUS being in Republican hands for the foreseeable future, this is a great idea. We need more than 100 per week though. If more organizations can provide help then shut up and take my money.

3 Likes

A big part of my job is enrolling people in Obamacare ACA-compliant health insurance, and just today I noticed a button on healthcare dot gov “register to vote.” From now on, all my clients are getting The Talk.

10 Likes

I’m almost afraid to take an active physical role in voter registration; the last two times I did, the horrible fucker who I was trying to prevent from taking office won.

O_o

8 Likes

“that you don’t have to have ID.”
Unless you want to vote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_ID_laws_in_the_United_States

1 Like

Meanwhile elsewhere: Enrolment for people with no fixed address - Australian Electoral Commission

Also note the website is that of an independent non-partisan (no political party representation) statuary authority.

1 Like

Yep. While agree with the sentiment of the OP, just the act of getting an ID is an unbelievable burden for a lot of folks. Case in point, my brother-in-law was recently released from prison after spending most of his adult life institutionalized (most of his young adult years, too! Surprise!). We took him in for a few months to give him a permanent residence, tried to get his papers in order, etc., but it was shockingly hard to just get the documents together to get him a basic state ID. And all that just so that he could simply exist in a world outside of incarceration where his existence is well documented and verified by multiple entities.

5 Likes

no state required a voter to produce a government-issued photo ID as a condition for voting before the 2006 election.

Sigh. Ok,

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.