Ali Express's bizarre 1990s-style retro DOS computers reviewed

Originally published at: Ali Express's bizarre 1990s-style retro DOS computers reviewed | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Video link for the BBS.

Couldn’t have even spring for the DX, eh? I mean I guess this is kinda cool if you’re really into retro stuff, but I’d rather have something with a 486DX processor — still plenty retro but not completely hobbled in the speed department. Like, plenty capable of running old school demoscene stuff at full tilt.

Does that 386 thing even have a video output? It’s also pretty laughable that these things have USB ports.

ETA: the 386 has a breakout board for video and I/O

6 Likes

From what I’ve watched of LGR, the 386 in particular has a very special place in his heart as his first childhood machine.

2 Likes

How? Surely they aren’t being manufactured anymore? Did they find some huge dead stock lot?

1 Like

If I understood the video correctly, the processors and other old chips are salvaged from old computer hardware.

ETA: The Book 8088 uses a vintage 8088 chip. The Hand 386 uses a new “embedded 386SX” made for use in industrial systems.

4 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense. I know there’s a lot of legacy hardware out there that just can’t be replaced, especially within the military/intel community.

Also: What does “embedded” mean in this case? Emulation on newer hardware?

1 Like

These are more modern chips intended for not-desktop use.

5 Likes

I’d love to get it so I could use WordPerfect 5.1. I’ve still got my diskettes and license code…

7 Likes

Why a laptop?

if I understand the hobby correctly, and there’s a chance that I don’t, it is to play the games of a specific era, on an era appropriate machine so they look and sound their most authentic.

but a vintage laptop tends to have the worst I/O. graphics are compromised by the screen, and sound, even if is present isn’t as good as the AdLib or perhaps the soundblaster that a player would have wanted back in the day. no isa slot means no hope of correcting it. a built in keyboard means that you’re stuck with mush.

it might save a little space, though.

3 Likes

There was a time when the Federal government was requiring document and reports be submitted in Word Perfect. I wound up getting Corel Suite from work.

Word Perfect was a great word processing tool.

4 Likes

This was all cobbled together from existing parts and hardware. I’m guessing that it was making the most of what was readily available.

5 Likes

“Embedded” refers to the fact that it’s designed to be used inside some special purpose device, not a general purpose computer. In practice this tends to mean “stick more stuff that’s typically external into the same chip” aka an SoC (system on a chip).

3 Likes

You may not need it. There are a number of WordPerfect modernization projects. This is the one I have bookmarked: WordPerfect for DOS Updated

3 Likes

oh! that looks perfect.

( god. i’m sorry. still too soon? )

I really just want my old Gateway Handbook 486 back, but with a color display that isn’t a totally bizarre aspect ratio. Is that too much to ask?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.