Crowdfunded retro game console prototype was cardboard tat

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Why didn’t they put something like a Raspberry PI in the case? That would have been at least credible?

3 Likes

It’s a standalone, cartridge-based console in 2016. It doesn’t need a cpu. It runs on nostalgia.

22 Likes

O ye of little faith.

1 Like

I got one of these prototypes and so far it isn’t working: I can’t find the UHF or VHF antenna screws on my HDTV. I’m planning on upgrading to 4k for this box so if any boingers can recommend a good 4k set with VHF/UHF input I’d be forever in your debt. + points for it working in 3-D mode with my Rift kit. ++ points for being on sale in the BB store. Cheers!

8 Likes

I know, right? I mean retro games don’t exactly need customized hardware even.

There is that Retro system that already plays 4-6 different kinds of games.

Who wants to reacquire their old game library one cartridge$$$ at a time, just because of the form factor? Lots of retro gamers would rather have loads of roms on a usb drive for emulation. Or sweet original old hardware. This thing was going to be the worst of both worlds.

4 Likes

Despite the “retro” and “Coleco” names, this thing was actually designed not to play actual retro games, but to play brand new games that were ‘retro-styled’. It used the old Jaguar molds to play newly-designed games. So, really a weird, weird idea.

3 Likes

Great. Give future scammers ideas for improvement.

1 Like

Isn’t there enough evidence to arrest them for fraud already?

1 Like

Adam Koralik (the guy that’s done a retrospective of almost every console generation and is like The Dreamcast neckbeard) did a video awhile back on this… y’know when it merely looked like a bad idea instead of an outright scam.

Tat?

(Post must be at least 6 characters. Why, again? Is that the ISO threshold for semantic value in English words or something?)

Aka. crap.

1 Like

One more than “This.”.

3 Likes

Six?

<you can make it happen if you know what you’re doing.

You can make less than six happen if you know what you’re doing.

how? 

Magic

<dsaf

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.