Excellent vintage portable TV turned into retro gaming system

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/08/excellent-vintage-portable-tv.html

2 Likes

Don’t refuse, Reuse !

2 Likes

That’s pretty neat - but considerably more than a Raspberry 3 running Retropie.
I’ve found N64 games hit and miss even with some emulation setting tweaks.

This one is probably more doable and retains the retro vibe:

1 Like

I love this but I wish he had used the original screen or another CRT. That LCD screen would just kill the vintage look for me.

2 Likes

Didn’t Zenith or Magnavox or one of those big television manufacturers in the 1980s have one of those big faux wood behemoths with a built in Atari or Intellvision or something?

1 Like

I’d think anything newer than a SNES would be a challenge to emulate properly. (Even a SNES appears to require some serious computing power to effectively emulate).

I’ve actually been on the lookout for a small, used color teevee with component input in the back that I can throw the N64 on once I get it. (So far, no dice; I’ve found teevees but they’re RF-only.)

Looks like there was a bunch:

1 Like

Funny, I was looking at it thinking “Wow, the N64 graphics actually look quite good when they’re not on a badly tuned CRT”. Each to their own I guess.

1 Like

I think there are a couple of problems there. If one doesn’t know how to work inside a CRT could be killed, dangerously high voltages are present. One could actually inject a CVBS into an older TV set, but has to be sure that is not connecting directly to a mains lead or to a point with a high floating voltage.
By the way it looks to me to a b/w TV.
Add to this that a 40-year old TV set could have failing components

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.