Alien, a flipbook animation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/01/alien-a-flipbook-animation.html

2 Likes

What will be celebrated in 40 years which is created by today’s studios, I wonder?

2 Likes

Cool way to animate it.
Is it better than this?

Doesn’t matter, now there are 2 awesome Alien animations.

5 Likes

Cool another Alien flip book. Her Alien covenant flip book still pops up on social media from time to time. https://youtu.be/HEesSc4goTY

False narrative in the flip! It should be noted that Jonesy was never scared of the alien. Might have hated that damn xenomorph, but was never scared of it. Also, speaking of the hate that Jonesy felt, it was way more directed toward the humans on the ship than anything else. Still, good kitty!

5 Likes

Also, there was no gunfire aboard the Nostromo

4 Likes

The Marvel films, for the same reason we celebrate Star Wars now.

(This should really be a separate topic)

1 Like

I noticed that; why did the flamethrower sound like a machine gun?

Jonesy was jealous Alien was doing all that murder. He resented the cheap generic dried food the Nostromo crew would give him. They were always slow to change his water and clean his litterbox.

2 Likes

[quote=“LutherBlisset, post:2, topic:143512, full:true”
What will be celebrated in 40 years which is created by today’s studios, I wonder?
[/quote]

There is pretty much NO action movie these days that I have any interest in whatsoever. Baby Driver was cool and had Ansel Elgort as some pretty nifty eye candy. Spiderman Homecoming, well who cared what it was about. It had Tom Holland and that’s enough for me :slight_smile:

Probably no decent scratching post for Jonesy either. Everything is so metal and plastic. No carpeting anywhere.

Alien probably had the first female action star.
Alien probably gave us a new genre, sci-fi horror.
Alien was an original script, not an adaption.

I think these are three reasons why Alien is still relevant, and is celebrated. Plus, some success with the audience, especially on home video. Part of that success is that Alien attacks you viscerally, using sexual metaphors aplenty, and I would think it is nearly impossible that you watch it without the film “working” on you.
I can’t say the same about the Marvel films, really. Star Wars, well, that’s another discussion. But ticks two of the points above, I think. New genre space opera, original script. (Which is so archetypical “hero’s journey” it also “works” on the audience, but then, that’s also true for most of Hollywood’s movies including the Marvel stuff. They learned.)

I’ll give you two of those but not

4 Likes

My bad. Blaxploitation is a really weak spot on my pop culture reference sheet. At least I heard the name Cleopatra Jones before, but I could not have told in which context. Could have been a Marvel superhero for all I knew.

White female action star, maybe?
I know it’s a racist bias, but that’s what made the film relevant for the white western majority, maybe?

Surely sci-fi horror has always been one of the most common forms of science fiction :confused:

In films? IDK. Novels, ok. Films? Alien was borrowing from B-horrormovies, but space horror? That was pretty new, wasn’t it?

2 Likes

Also, don’t forget the falling water in that one room. Cats effing hate that!!!

2 Likes

There’s a very good Captain Marvel-related reason for that.

3 Likes

Not quite

In writing the script, O’Bannon drew inspiration from many previous works of science fiction and horror. He later stated that "I didn’t steal Alien from anybody, I stole it from everybody !"[35] The Thing from Another World (1951) inspired the idea of professional men being pursued by a deadly alien creature through a claustrophobic environment.[35] Forbidden Planet (1956) gave O’Bannon the idea of a ship being warned not to land, and then the crew being killed one by one by a mysterious creature when they defy the warning.[35] Planet of the Vampires (1965) contains a scene in which the heroes discover a giant alien skeleton; this influenced the Nostromo crew’s discovery of the alien creature in the derelict spacecraft.[35] O’Bannon has also noted the influence of “Junkyard” (1953), a short story by Clifford D. Simak in which a crew lands on an asteroid and discovers a chamber full of eggs.[30] He has also cited as influences Strange Relations by Philip José Farmer (1960), which covers alien reproduction, and various EC Comics horror titles carrying stories in which monsters eat their way out of people.
Alien (film) - Wikipedia

Alien’s success is less about originality as it was about presentation. Plus HR Giger’s monster design was so revolutionary in concept. Taking “man in a suit monster” to a quantum level of quality unseen onscreen.

1 Like

That’s because Ripley snuck Jonesy on board at the last second. :wink:

1 Like