There's a new Alien movie in the works

Originally published at: There's a new Alien movie in the works | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Oooh, this is gonna be good!

/s

9 Likes

The Hollywood sequel churn is mostly terrible.

Mostly…

9 Likes
9 Likes
13 Likes

Hell, Hollywood might still be making Alien movies once we finally encounter intelligent lifeforms from other planets.

Alien, “Can we just stop with this speciesist bullshit, already?!”
Human, “WOKE CANCEL CULTURE!”

2 Likes
7 Likes

Who is the target audience for these movies? I’m a big fan of both Terminator and Alien, but at this point I have absolutely no idea how many movies each series has, and when a new one comes out at no point do I even consider “hey, maybe I should go see that.” Who are these people who go to see a movie purely on name recognition, with zero regard for how bad the reviews are or how poor a track record the previous installments have?

8 Likes

I wonder the same thing. I only saw a couple of the former franchise, plus The Sarah Connor Chronicles. After enjoying Aliens, I walked out of Alien 3 while trying to recover from the shock of the opening montage. Once they revealed where Ripley landed, that was it. I was totally pissed off, and no review of a sequel after that tempted me to spend more time on it. :woman_shrugging:t4:

One thing that comes to mind is FOMO. Younglings are told that a movie franchise was great, so they want to experience it, too. Marketers can remake the image of old crap to the point that they won’t believe us when we tell them it’s not nearly what it used to be! Another idea is they are catering to MST3K fans.

6 Likes

This could be interesting. I love all the Alien movies, and often wondered why they stopped at two and whether they should’ve made a third.

(sticks fingers in ears, la-la-la can’t hear you, in case someone mentions movies in the franchise that came after Aliens)

10 Likes

… by far the best thing in the whole “franchise” :robot:

6 Likes

I’m in the minority - but I quite liked the third.

If you listen to the commentary on the Quadrilogy DVD, you will be amazed that film got made at all. A cluster fuck. It is amazing how they will throw millions at a project with out a sound script.

And Alien Resurrection is a guilty pleasure. Big fan of a lot of the character actors in that movie, too many to pick a favorite. And the director is who did City of Lost Children, one of my favorite films, reusing some of the same actors and a similar tone and color palette.

5 Likes

13 Likes

“a group of young people on a distant world, who find themselves in a confrontation with the most terrifying life form in the universe.”

The group of young ‘people’ I want to see in this movie are Scooby-Doo and his mystery-solving friends Fred Jones, Velma Dinkley, Daphne Blake and Norville “Shaggy” Rogers,

5 Likes

Maybe Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space…

1 Like

That show really was excellent, and with a stellar cast. I was genuinely furious when they cancelled it so quickly.

5 Likes

I’m there with you. I thought the third one had a really great hook- no guns at all, but they only have to kill one. Obviously the second film is the best (director’s cut with the gun turret scene intact, of course) but I really liked #3 as well.

6 Likes

So many movies and shows today get critiqued like they are all supposed to be Kubrick or Scorcese’s best work. Sometimes they are just supposed to be…fun. I watched a bunch of movies on flights in the past few months, and some of the “worst” were actually pretty good. They weren’t great art, but they were fun romps. When we’re talking about movies in the comic book/superhero/sci fi/fantasy genre, that’s what most people are looking for.

Shaggy, “What’s up Scoob? Are you feeling okay?”

Thing Dog

5 Likes

4 Likes