There's a new Alien movie in the works

Palmer, “Oh, my God! It’s a monster! I’ll just hide in this chest in the corner…”

3 Likes

Plus it passes the Bechdel test!

3 Likes

But why did he insist on including all the pre-infection Hadley’s Hope stuff? The Marine’s first impression of the base, as well as Ripley’s shock at hearing that Weyland-Yutani had sent families there, would have been so much more powerful if we audiences members didn’t already have an inkling of what was going on. For my money, that’s a rare misstep for Cameron. Everything else about the DC is flawless.

5 Likes

I prefer the original cinematic release version, which was the first one I saw. It is stripped down; and, like you say, makes the colony more mysterious. It has got a real Mary Celeste feel to it.

Edit for greater clarity

5 Likes

Yeah, while I love that additional context around Ripley’s daughter, and the inclusion of the auto-turrets giving a real sense that the Marines are outmatched and under constant assault, the earlier stuff with Newt’s family spoiling our sense of discovery makes the DC a bit of a wash for me. I might agree with you.

4 Likes

"Wait…what do you mean, I’m the Scooby Snack now? Zoinks!" :fearful:

2 Likes

You make very fair points! For my money though, the suspense, dread, and sheer scope of how fucked they are is built so powerfully by that auto-turret scene that I cannot fathom the film without it. I’m willing to stomach a lot of other Cameron missteps to get that scene.

2 Likes

Gotta be a prequel.

Also, Brian Glover.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.