All back issues of Omni magazine now available online

Yeah but it’s not anywhere near as good as it used to be.

As was most of the content but they did run some good fiction.

2 Likes

I have to confess, I never really paid much attention to Omni. Is it worth a look from a non-nostalgia perspective?

(I do actually have one copy with a Harlan Ellison short story in it.)

As a kind of where were things at that time, yes its worth a look but otherwise most of the interest really is gonna be nostalgia.

1 Like

is there somewhere to find back issues of the boingboing zine/mag?

1 Like

They cost twice that up here in Canada.

I think so, but granted I don’t have my old collection anymore. I bought a whole collection of about the first ten years of issues from a library in the late 80s, for maybe $10-20. It’s a mix of pop science articles, interviews, fiction, and illustration. The pop science content is the only stuff which seems nostalgic/retro now.

Something that has fallen through the cracks of time is that they also put out some cassettes in the late 80s called the “Omni Audio Experience” which were like a proto-podcast, with music, audio plays, Ken Nordine, Michael McDonough, etc.

Next to me!

1 Like

You don’t … want to get married, do you?

lol.
At our wedding I will sing my didn’t and dance my did.

1 Like

I’d think so. Not sure i’d recommend buying all of it sight unseen but you should be able to find some online to read… think there’s a link for that here in the comments at the top. It’ll depend on what you want to get out of OMNI, there’s a lot of tech speculation that is either amusingly outdated or interesting. There’s also a lot of short stories and articles that are pretty good reads, and then the art is something else as well. I had a few issues with stuff by HR Giger and i still think about those issues on occasion.

2 Likes

Yeah I sadly agree. Liberatore did a section in a recent issue but it was no Ranx.

Related: Mondo 2000 @ Internet Archive:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.