Free on the Internet Archive: 255 issues of Galaxy Magazines, 1950-1976

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/16/embattled-male-mesomorphs.html

6 Likes

Seems like the internet archive has had better luck getting complete (or more complete, at least) runs on sci-fi and science magazines than they have with music-based fanzines.

1 Like

Hot damn, that is fantastic!!!

I love reading bite size vintage sci-fi (short stories and the like), so a big huge thank you for alerting us to this treasure trove! :heart:

3 Likes

So I can toss my paper copies now?

1 Like

You should see if there is an archive somewhere that needs them. It’s great that they are on the internet archive, but I think having physical copies taken care of in an archive is still necessary.

3 Likes

Are there any stand-out issues that shouldn’t be missed?

My old copies are moldy smelling, and my wife will not let me bring them into the house from the basement. So this is a win/win. Thanks, Doc.

Music zines got passed around and tossed away quickly.

I can’t say if you are serious or joking.

1 Like

I’m betting that we will see takedown notices from some of the authors. Many novels were serialized under limited “first publication” contracts and since those contracts predate the internet, it is not at all obvious that this would be permitted under them. In fact, I believe that there was a case between the NYT and some of those authors that supports the idea that distribution over the internet is NOT implicitly covered.
Edited to add: Indeed, it looks like the estate of Poul Anderson has done just that.

1 Like

This is great. I am hoping for the American, “Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine” though. I recall inheriting some from an old box my uncle found a while back, and loving them all.

1 Like

Joking now, but there was a time when I would have joked about tossing my VCR tape collection.

2 Likes

I kind of a paper fetishist, so I’m relived. I have a small collection of the French translation of the magazine.

I will argue that you need a VCR to read tapes, but you don’t need any contraption to read a book. And even VCR make a comeback, as any obsolete format, despite everyone thinking it was useless trash after seeing their first film on DVD.
Digital book improve some aspect of books (storage, portability) but not the experience of reading : descriptions are not more vivid, characters more compelling or pace more fast on an e-reader.

I’m not sure I have a point. Just thinking out loud.

Yeah, that’s likely very true for a lot of the more localized music zines. Some punks took preservation seriously early on though. For a while, a website called Operation Phoenix had a sizable chunk of both Maximum Rock-n-Roll and Flipside (which was incredibly useful). And someone has all of Slash up too, online. And I want to say that MRR used to be up on their website - at least some issues? You can order many back issues of MRR from there. Oh, and I do have the complete run of The Big Takeover. You can just order it from Jack Rabid for like, a couple of hundred bucks, I think it was.

There are several zine libraries, with the biggest collection in an academic archive being at Barnard. the local non-profit libraries tend to only have local stuff. So some stuff has been preserved, which is great.

1 Like

Yes. Send them to me, and I will give them a good home while looking at all of the illustrations.

255 issues of Galaxy…

Better read 'em fast before they add another and the count rolls back to zero.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.