All the canned fish of your dreams

Originally published at: All the canned fish of your dreams | Boing Boing

6 Likes

How I imagine the typical viewers

28 Likes
10 Likes

In my house we’re all about the sardines which are canned in tomato sauce. I think it’s Russian in origin? Popular here in parts of Canada as well, and sooo good.

15 Likes

10 Likes

I recently visited Portugal, and tinned fish are a big deal there. There’s a chain of sardine shops called O Mundo Fantastico das Sardinhas, and they have an over-the-top circusy theme that—if you didn’t know any different—you’d be sure was selling candy.

8 Likes

i’m partial to the sardines in mustard!
fun aside: 40 years ago i did my check-out dive for open water certification. the dive instructor’s ritual was after successful dive, each new diver ate a sardine from a tin passed around the deck. surprise, Rob! i like sardines. most of the other divers (i think there were 6 of us) didn’t want to, but as a rite of passage, gave a tiny nibble. no one barfed, thank goodness.

13 Likes

Yesss! The mustard is also great.

Cheers Drinking GIF by Drunk History

12 Likes

Olive oil purist here. I grew up eating sardines on toast. It’s often said that the reason sardines are packed so tightly is that the olive oil costs more by volume than the fish. I’m not sure if this is true any more.

Fun fact: The best sardines are pilchards, and come from Sardinia.

10 Likes

The picture is a can of anchovies.

10 Likes

Same, though in my case my mom was big on kippers and toast points for breakfast, which grossed my dad out; but for some reason for lunchtime or snacks he was all about sardines or smoked oysters on crackers.

I always keep some good anchovies around for cooking, or as Chef John calls them, Italian MSG.

I draw the line at pickled herring. My favorite pickled herring recipe: start with the cheapest jar of pickled herring; take a fillet out of the jar, rinse it and pat it dry with paper towel; use stretch thread to secure the herring fillet to a K16 Kwickfish plug; fish said plug about 20 feet down and 80 feet behind the boat; catch Chinook salmon with it; fillet salmon; grill with salt, pepper, and lemon.

14 Likes

Even better!

7 Likes

I eat them with breadcrumbs, on their own or with pasta. One of the kid’s favorite pizza toppings is anchovies, but if I don’t have them on hand, she will accept salted sardines with capers as a substitute.

4 Likes

So you like your pickled herring same way that fig lovers love wasps.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of people using fig newtons on salmon lures, but when the bite is slow it’s worth a try.

6 Likes

I’ll have to look for that and try some! My faves now are Mediterranean style with sliced black olives and spices, swimming in olive oil. :yum:

5 Likes

:+1:

10 Likes

Or mackerel; both are delish. Our family’s Danish cousins, as kids, gruesomely referred to that combo as “Plane Crash”.

10 Likes

Ditto! We have several cans each of King Oscar and (IMHO even better) Nuri on hand. On top of toast and with Japanese mayo liberally drizzled on top… ohhh… ogghhhkdjjdjj! Now I want some.

5 Likes

The club membership is growing, I see. Re olive oil, we always drain ours and replace with the virgin stuff when sardines + olive oil is our goal. OO in cans is not the best. Perhaps that depends on the brand, though.

6 Likes