All three SpaceX Falcon Heavy Boosters landing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/12/all-three-spacex-falcon-heavy.html

8 Likes

It undeniably appeals to most everyone’s inner 10-year-old. A cool visual to make us smile before Musk makes his next bizarro proclamation.

14 Likes

NwyQuuP

17 Likes

i didn’t see the third stage land, did you see the third stage land? seriously though, as a kid who watched the apollo missions on tv, this was some cool stuff.

5 Likes

Anyone here have an informed take on the present and future working relationship between SpaceX’s Mars bound rockets and NASA’s SLS? This whole Mars rockets thing is a weird market.

1 Like

Impossible. I think they just flipped over the celluloid and ran it backward.

10 Likes

5.1 million pounds of thrust. What does that even mean at that magnitude

1 Like

I was not aware of these rockets, and thought that must be the case, but then. . . the dust clouds would be going backwards too, instead of appearing when they get near the ground.

4 Likes

They lost the camera feed during the landing of the second stage booster on the drone ship, but regained the feed a moment later and indeed, the sucker was on there.

Very cool. :slight_smile:

I know, right? It’s just like that studio they filmed the moon landing at :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Twitter is designed to make everyone on it stupider. For all his deranged twitter rants and sometimes tenuous grip on reality, people forget that he (together with Gwynn Shotwell) is up there with Von Braun and Korolyev when it comes to building rockets.

3 Likes

The gif art the top of the post reminds me of this:

3 Likes

NOVA had a recent show which does a pretty good job explaining the current situation:

And here’s a great short on how SpaceX gets their boosters to return to their launchpad.

4 Likes

yes i know, was jk

The only thing left to recover is the second stage. Get working on it!

Help me out, what movie was this from?

3 Likes

That would be a real challenge. The rocket equation is a harsh, harsh mistress.

5 Likes

When you really gots ta thrust!

1 Like

For comparison, the Saturn V rocket produced 7.5 million pounds of thrust at liftoff which is just shy of the Space Shuttle (7.8m lbs) and the SLS which will take a mission to Mars (8.4m lbs).

The Saturn V rocket’s first stage carries 203,400 gallons (770,000 liters) of kerosene fuel and 318,000 gallons (1.2 million liters) of liquid oxygen needed for combustion. At liftoff, the stage’s five F-1 rocket engines ignite and produce 7.5 million pounds of thrust.

2 Likes

ELON MUSK: I’ve found a way to re-animate the corpses of dead human beings! Now granted, the process does result in a few, minor, side-effects. . . .

4 Likes