All U.S. troops to withdraw from Afghanistan under peace deal

1 Like

Kind of reminds me of Richard Nixon’s withdrawal from Vietnam. Anyone think the country will collapse in a similar amount of time when we leave? If no one gets the reference:

"Peace with Honor" was a phrase U.S. President Richard M. Nixon used in a speech on January 23, 1973 to describe the Paris Peace Accords to end the Vietnam War. The phrase is a variation on a campaign promise Nixon made in 1968: “I pledge to you that we shall have an honorable end to the war in Vietnam.”[1] The Accords specified that a ceasefire would take place four days later. According to the plan, within sixty days of the ceasefire, the North Vietnamese would release all U.S. prisoners, and all U.S. troops would withdraw from South Vietnam. On March 29, 1973, the last U.S. soldier left Vietnam. On 30 April 1975, Saigon fell to North Vietnamese troops.[2]

5 Likes

Dem establishment hacks begin to attack Trump for “losing” Afghanistan in 3, 2, 1…

OTOH, don’t get too happy. He’s still bombing the crap out of countries all over the world, the SEALS et al are still playing their assassination/kidnap/torture games wherever they feel like it, and there’s a high chance of a new war starting somewhere shortly before the election.

8 Likes

Richard Nixon tried the same thing.

Peace is USian for We Lost.

5 Likes

With all the usual caveats regarding details, devils, pudding and proofs therein,

GOOD, AND IT’S ABOUT FUCKING TIME

5 Likes

Does that mean Afghanistan is a stable democracy now?
Now, where did I put those “Mission Accomplished!” bumper stickers…

7 Likes

When they call Afghanistan the “Graveyard of empires”, people should pay attention.

8 Likes

Cool. Whose turn is it to invade now?

7 Likes

Maybe Russia wants to give it another shot? Trump did let them take over Syria after we cleared it out. Trump is prolly like: “Hey Russia if you’re listening, I’m forcing the US troops to leave, I hear there’s some prime real estate over here if you’re interested”.

3 Likes

I think China’s up next? They might need a distraction about now.

Or, if it parallels Trump’s withdrawal from Syria, it means there will still be thousands of US troops in N. Pakistan so they can still bomb the shit out of it at their convenience.

4 Likes

Nixon did the same thing but, he resigned prior to actually being able to repel the NVA from overwhelming South Vietnam. He withdrew from Vietnam but, kept the airforce relatively close to Vietnam. At this point in the war thought, the American public had had enough and weren’t willing to invest any more money or american lives in a country that had seen Americans there since before Kennedy in the form of military advisors.

3 Likes

“Pompeo called on the Taliban in particular to ‘embrace’ the progress made on rights for women and girls in Afghanistan.”

I’m sure that’s gonna work out just fine for those women and girls.

Do I really need to add /s?

7 Likes

All better now? right…

even the taliban have heard of the us elections and their timing it would appear.

ive got huge news on this by the way. let me tell you next week. also my tax returns

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.