Alleged fraudster made bank selling $823k worth of luxury rental stuff

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/15/alleged-fraudster-made-bank-selling-823k-worth-of-luxury-rental-stuff.html

She got caught because she was lazy.

1 Like

“I’m gonna rent this stuff, stiff the people i rented it from, and sell the stuff i rented.” What could go wrong?

5 Likes

How did she think she was going to get away with this? Like, the rental companies she stole from, they knew who she was. If she kept this a bit more discrete - like, re-selling a few thousand bucks of goods, it might have been small enough for the authorities to not get involved. But you start getting this level of greed, it stops being viewed as just a civil matter.

2 Likes

Like any good capitalist, she calculated that her profits would rise if she could reduce her input costs. Also like many capitalists, she failed to calculate the downstream costs to maintain her market share.

5 Likes

I don’t get the connection to helicopter glamping. Were the helicopters rented?

When big corporations make profits by using other people’s stuff and paying nothing for it, economists call that “externalities”.

But when I do it, suddenly I’m facing criminal charges for “grand larceny”, “mail fraud” and “transporting stolen property”. Does that seem fair to you?

9 Likes

Saw a similar rental biz on Shark Tank the other week. Only her company didn’t own the luxury goods, they were owned by individuals looking to monetize their own handbags and clothing by renting them out. Actually a great idea with no capital outlay for inventory.

I can’t wrap my brain around someone paying thousands for a purse, runners or clothing. Hard to muster up sympathy for anyone involved, it’s a race to the bottom.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Wouldn’t this destroy her credit rating?

1 Like

No; I don’t. And this will be a very boring set of comments if everyone takes your request seriously.

Looks so happy sporting what could be stolen designer eyeglasses. (All things aside, they suited her; memories to cherish in cell block B.)

2 Likes

Luxury fashion rental is a thing here in the UK. The Guardian fashion pages often recommend it. You can put together a fantastic designer outfit for a special occasion for relatively low spend. It makes better sense than wear once and throw away fast fashion.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.