Already regretting asking Charles Bukowski to review the new 'Cats'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/21/already-regretting-asking-char.html

8 Likes

I mean, sure, Bukowski’s disregard is apparent, but you have to admit it’s powerful stuff from a guy who has been dead for 25 years.

16 Likes

Re-reading Factotum, he was the best sarcastic bastard ever…

10 Likes

ah, show business!

No%20business%20cover

6 Likes

I’ve never seen the musical (in its entirety) in any of its forms. Does it have a cat pissing all over anything that happens to be left on the floor (but also, at times, on the bare linoleum)? How about clawing up all of the door jambs? Because that is what (in my experience) cats do. If one’s only limited by the imagination, why stop at singing and dancing cats? Why not invent a cat with no urethra?

♫♪♪
Touch me
It’s so easy to leave me
All alone with my memory
Of my urethral fun
♫♪♪
Now my human will no longer have to worry about
His belongings sprayed with number one
♫♪♪

1 Like

I feel hungover just looking at pictures of him.

7 Likes

♫♪♪
Midnight
And the kitties are screaming…
♫♪♪

I have no idea where I got that from, but I like it. T.S. Eliot’s work should never have been so degraded.

1 Like

But who would want to be/ who would want to be such an asshole…

1 Like

I saw Bukowski at Sonoma State in 1976, hilarity ensued as he drank his way through the chat. He was shocked that a bunch of weed smoking hippies even knew him, let alone read his books. He closed the lecture with a rousing rendition of a song I never heard of, and to this day I haven’t the foggiest idea what it was, but it was great.

3 Likes

Cats - grotesque, not delightful
Bukowski - grotesque, delightful

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.