I love TS Eliot and Andrew Lloyd Weber but the 'Cats' trailer scares me

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/22/i-love-ts-eliot-and-andrew-llo.html

3 Likes

Don’t worry. You might have “a dry brain in a dry season” but they aren’t real cats. You might want to see a doctor about the dry brain thing. :face_with_thermometer:

5 Likes

This is me:

2 Likes

The Nick Offerman version is far superior.

4 Likes

cat-red-dwarf-danny-john-jules-backwards-derp

27 Likes

Cats the Musical doesn’t really exist

“In 1981, after the actors in a production of Hello Dolly! got sick and didn’t show up for their performance, an actor in the audience “pounced” on the opportunity. His day job was as a Times Square Garfield, so he delivered a two-hour monologue about cats. The whole show continues to be made up to this day.”

12 Likes

I’m mostly indifferent to T.S. Eliot, and I decidedly do not like Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals, but I also know I will be seeing this movie in the theater because Kiddo’s spirit animal is the cat, and she’s already seen the trailer, so I can’t pretend the movie doesn’t exist.

7 Likes

I really think that if you had seen the “Cats” musical on Broadway in the 1980’s, this trailer gets it about right. It correlates pretty closely with my memories (no pun intended) of the show.

6 Likes

24 Likes

I appreciate the amazing sets, the giant furniture and such; that’s something they really couldn’t do on stage.

I’m not fond of the half-human cat design. The costumes, hair, and makeup on stage are gloriously flamboyant. They decided to go with a sort of weird fur-skin-suit with human faces and lipstick, which makes the faces look too large for the heads they’re in. I wish the outfits had a bit more of the over-the-top glitz of the stage show.

And, while she’s got a great voice, I’m baffled by the choice of Jennifer Hudson as Grizabella. That character’s supposed to be ancient, old, decrepit, and has lost all of her glamor and youth; that’s the whole point of “Memory”. Jennifer Hudson is in her mid-30s, so that sort of defeats the character.

10 Likes

Forget Eliot. This looks like a collaboration between Weber and H. G. Wells…I get a distinct Island of Dr. Moreau vibe.

21 Likes

That was the first thing that came to mind!

Second was “get the brain bleach!”

2 Likes
7 Likes

Came here for this, was not disappointed.

1 Like

We just need to wait for the Jon Favreau version.

2 Likes
3 Likes

The singer reminds me of FKA twigs.

I like cats fine, it’s humans that I can’t stand.

2 Likes

Cats are kinda douchebags too

3 Likes

Just go see the stage play and party with your friends over good BBQ when the movie is released. :slight_smile: