Watch: First trailer for Tom & Jerry, the live action film

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/17/watch-first-trailer-for-tom-jerry-the-live-action-film.html

3 Likes

35 Likes

637981_8f1c2

27 Likes

From Kick-Ass to… this ?

3 Likes

They did not bump the lamp.

2 Likes

“Live Action”

2 Likes

I didn’t think it was possible to make “Tom & Jerry” worse. I was wrong. Oh, how I was wrong.

12 Likes

It’s just not looking very interesting. I’m not sure what would make for a fun Tom & Jerry movie but it’s certainly not this. I can think of a couple of things but this is just inherently a difficult task to pull off, sadly they went with the most generic version possible.

4 Likes

But, why?

9 Likes

I hope they have a parody of the Simpsons as a show in the show.

9 Likes

Looks violent enough for me!

On another note, I’m reminded of this short fiction piece by Steven Millhauser from 2004 in The New Yorker, that I really liked at the time I read it. Time for me to read it again, it seems:

1 Like

On reflection, I am kinda grateful they are doing this to such a wretched terrible property as Tom & Jerry. It would be sooooooo much worse if they were doing a terrible Hollywood rip-off of sacred things, like say Looney Toons. I hope they do Woody Woodpecker next, and then I dunno, whatever other el cheapo basement property they can can find. Just not Wile E and Bugs and Elmer and the gang. Please god no

5 Likes

The violence was not the most disturbing part of the original Tom & Jerry cartoons.

blackface01 blackface02 blackface03 blackface04

blackface06

26 Likes

Gosh… the sound effect had him whipping out a knife and slicing through his head… but it was actually an iron. I guess we’re good then.

No. Tom & Jerry is amazing, especially the Fred Quimby era.

15 Likes

Oof. I won’t press the “like” button on your post, as it could be misinterpreted as liking the content. However, thank you for reminding me of the unapologetic racism that pervaded the T&J franchise (and several other cartoon franchises) in the 20th century. We have so much further to go, but those images are a good reminder of where we came from, not so long ago.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this disturbing trash propaganda.
What a nightmare.

2 Likes

However, the PG rating for violence concerns me that it won’t be violent enough .

If I’m going to watch a movie about a cartoon cat chasing a mouse I want Itchy and Scratchy levels of hilariously gruesome violence.

5 Likes

That would make the whole movie worth it, frankly.

1 Like

i appreciate that they seem to get their interplay and level of violence right, but i am clearly not the demographic they are going for. i especially appreciate that they left out the racist stuff.

1 Like