Alt-Right trolls argue for hours with Twitter bot

Thought: if Twitter won’t clean up the harassers, maybe a botnet could keep them busy enough to not harass/threaten/annoy the human beings.

6 Likes

How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

4 Likes

I wonder if writing a troll-baiting bot counts as bullying? It certainly generates some negative emotions.

there are other bots doing this too :slight_smile:

This puts a little grease under the Turing Test’s feet. We’re going to have to redefine “human” in the test.

1 Like

It is reassuring to know that this only works in the Twitter medium and could never happen in a Boingboing comment thread.

3 Likes

I am actually actively trying to find the bright side in things lately. Maybe because now that everyone is pessimistic and angsty I feel compelled to rebel and be the opposite.

3 Likes

Many people seem to enjoy experiencing them. This is why trolling works, and can be carried on by even dumb AI programs. The energy is coming from the ‘victim’. I use the term ‘bullying’ to denote actual positive hostility. Of course the original motive in setting up the troll bot is usually at least a bit hostile, but much of the Net is already hostility soup.

1 Like

No, your explanation is totally on target. I don’t think anyone could improve on it, except maybe to add that Jones is the idiot who’s claiming that HRC and Obama are both demons. And he’s not being metaphorical.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.