AMA study: shooters armed with semiautomatic rifles kill twice as many people

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/16/ammosexual-plague.html

5 Likes

Yeah, but they kill twice as many feral hogs too, so screw you for trying to take away our freedoms!!

/s, obvs

28 Likes

Follow-up, sharp knives can actually cut people.

16 Likes

Are you sure this report didn’t come from the No Shit Institute?

21 Likes

The NSI is forbidden by Federal law from investigating firearm mortality and morbidity.

36 Likes

My mistake. Perhaps it was the Big Fucking Surprise Foundation.

18 Likes

What does “semiautomatic rifle” mean here? I can’t read either the JAMA article (subscription required) or the LA Times piece (blocked in EU). Is it simply a rifle where pulling the trigger will both fire a round and put the next one in the breech (as opposed to e.g. a bolt-action rifle), or does it mean some sort of multiple shots per trigger-pull?

1 Like

There we go again…

ETA: Wikipedia definition for you:

19 Likes

Well, yes. Those are weapons designed primarily for the purpose of killing people quickly, efficiently, and with low risk to the user.

7 Likes

So now you’re coming after my knives too?

Don’t you realize that statistics show that more people get cut by falling into swimming pools?!

20 Likes

Well actually- people can just make continuous fire rail guns which can take out entire spacecraft full of people.

You’ll never be able to stop that - so why worry about this?

21 Likes

Thanks. That’s what I thought, but I was thrown by the reference to a ban in 1994: I vaguely remember hearing about a ban on assault rifles back then, and didn’t realise the two terms were synonymous.

5 Likes

what could possibly go wrong . . .

2 Likes

Also articles like this are interesting, but ignore the legal landscape: I strongly suspect a full blown ban on semi-automatic rifles would be ruled unconstitutional, and trying to suss out in legal terms the difference between a Ruger 10/22 and an AR-15 is a losing battle, as the 90’s era assault weapons ban showed.

2 Likes

There’s just no way the DMV can determine whether you need to register an El Camino as a car or a truck. Best to just not register them.

34 Likes

A cruck? A trar?

8 Likes

The ban in question is the 94 assualt weapon ban:

Which expired in 2004. It was widely criticized by gun control advocates as inadequate, and by the 2nd amendment set as pointless. Because it focused on defining an assault weapon in some weird ways, including by accessories and cosmetic features on a “two or more” basis. It did however restrict some specific models. And it did restrict magazine size.

In hind sight your various assault rifles like AR-15s became much, much more popular and easy to access and cheaper following its expiration. So something in there was working.

Automatic weapons have been restricted in the US since the 30’s and (mostly) banned since the 80’s.

My station wagon is registered as a “suburban”.

12 Likes

Just a sportsman enjoying his semi-automatic rifle.

1 Like

I have to assert preeminence here. Mine’s a Caliber.

2 Likes

This was not the first time SheiffFatman asked?

2 Likes