Amanda Seyfried explains how she learned to imitate Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes's likely fake deep voice

Originally published at: Amanda Seyfried explains how she learned to imitate Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes's likely fake deep voice | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Good “froggy voice”.

3 Likes

The voice, the staring, the Steve Jobs cosplay … it all seems over-the-top and off-putting in retrospect and when broken down by a professional actor. Still, that grifter was able to fool a lot of supposedly savvy people for a long time with her act.

10 Likes

i’m usually not part of the Jimmy Fallon pile-on but wow is he annoying in this clip

6 Likes

I didn’t realize until – seriously – the last couple of weeks, that there is a lot of anti-Fallon sentiment out there. I thought I was the only one.

5 Likes

I almost expected them to start awkwardly talking about their recent NFT purchases.

(Seriously, though, Amanda Seyfried was fun to hear from in this clip.)

7 Likes

This is the most astounding thing about The Dropout. How so many otherwise intelligent people had the wool pulled over their eyes. Surely the fact that she was a young blonde woman, and most of them were older men, played a part, but at some point, you have to realize she’s in fantasyland.

6 Likes

I don’t really get how you can call a voice “fake” if you can speak in it. Accent maybe.

I think the register one speaks in has a lot to do with the environment one speaks it in, though.

I think people just mean that it’s not, or at least wasn’t originally, her natural speaking voice. I can relate. My current voice was not, originally, my natural speaking voice. Through conscious effort and practice, I changed my voice, because I’m a trans woman. So my voice could be said to be, in a way, fake, although I no longer have to consciously think about it and I’m not sure I could do my “natural” voice at all anymore.

9 Likes

Is it “fake” when the Bene Gesserit do it?

4 Likes

“Affected” might be a better term. Much like when I try to speak a local accent, I have to put effort into it.

4 Likes

Also, her family was part of the politically connected crowd. She was “one of us,” which got her in the door and lowered people’s suspicions. And each investor made getting the next investor easier. "Well if he’s investing, it should be safe. It’s kind of like those frauds that target a particular church or ethnicity: people are less suspicious of one of their own kind.

2 Likes

Her father was an Enron exec, so fraud was the family way.

As I recall, she also piggybacked on those initial family connections by working the Stanford donor and alumni and Hoover Institution network hard to push her grift.

I often think of the process you describe as a non-tech version of a hacker’s “privilege escalation” attack: find the right exploit and suddenly you’re sysadmining along with the big boys.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.