Amazon admits police get Ring camera footage without owners' consent

Originally published at: Amazon admits police get Ring camera footage without owners' consent | Boing Boing

6 Likes

11 Likes

The company also requires police to fill out a special “emergency request form” if there is an urgent need to bypass the normal law enforcement process, according to the letter.

I wonder if they can actually produce this supposed form, and under what possible circumstances they would deny the police.

12 Likes

While it’s very interesting to know what product @beschizza is using [1] the problem isn’t a local one – I can’t make it aw better by barring Ring products from my own premises [2]. The problem is all my neighbors with Rings, who aren’t reading Boingboing and who are promiscuously spewing video (of me) to anyone with a badge who says “gimme”.

[1] Well not very interesting. Slightly interesting?
[2] My solution to this problem is that I have a doorbell, consisting of a mechanical switch connected to a ringy-dingy thingy [3], and a window in the door, that I can look out of. I realize people’s needs vary but for my own uses, I can’t imagine what benefit would accrue from video recording my front porch 7x24.
[3] Now I will go outside and yell at clouds.

2 Likes

Wyze makes a video doorbell now. And they don’t share with anyone.

3 Likes

EntirePoshCuckoo-size_restricted

6 Likes

“…and that users have no say in the matter”

Sure they do.
Don’t install the damned thing

4 Likes

Ok, but your “solution” only works if you stay inside all of the time and outside of the neighbors’ camera range…

Melissa Villasenor Oops GIF by Saturday Night Live

10 Likes

Yeah, I should have specifically said that up front. Oh wait I did.

No, you didn’t. Then you finished by saying you were going outside.

Your solution sucks.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Guess I been told.

See, that was an allusion to an apparently-less-well-known-than-I-thought reference, viz https://images.app.goo.gl/31eBP4Ba6pmetZcm8

4 Likes

Doubtful.

2 Likes

There’s a door with a Ring doorbell on my way to work. Every time I walk past it, it makes me uncomfortable to know that someone has access to my entire schedule of coming and going, the days I was late to work and the ones where I brought cake for my coworkers.

And there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

6 Likes

15 mins of internet celebrity. Just look at all the pieces of ringaganda posted on BoingBoing

4 Likes

You don’t have access to a paper bag (to put over your head) and a can of paint?

… naw, I wouldn’t do that either.

Use the environment. It might not look very dignified, and you might arrive for work covered in leaves; but it will keep you out of frame.

6 Likes

…or a gorilla mask.

But seriously, that is just beyond fucked, and Dr F is one of zillions dealing with that.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.