The Ring video doorbell gives you eyes at your front door – and it’s also 10% off

Originally published at: The Ring video doorbell gives you eyes at your front door – and it's also 10% off | Boing Boing

Important thing to note

9 Likes

images.jpeg

Hard pass.

22 Likes

Came to post something similar! Any product with “the Ring” in its name is a no go for me. That movie put me off horror movies for a decade. It freaked me out that badly. (Shudder)

7 Likes

LOL

7 Likes

These comments are going to be gold

7 Likes

I think my neighbour has one. Maybe I’ll check it out… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I just watched the video and feel the potential for a real parable there, the part where the fox* (Fox) steals the newspaper (local, independent journalism) off of the doorstep, all under the watchful eye of the Ring (tech corporation? big brother? all of the above?).

*No offense to real foxes intended.

1 Like

Nah, opt in as a default or lugging the fucken things to Mount Doom are the only options.

3 Likes

I think they should pay ME to install one of these things so they can monitor who visits me. Kinda like gmail.

Well get ahead of the rush, eventually not having one will be evidence of suspiciousness, and then they will be mandatory anyway.

4 Likes

According to our covenants, you can only have security cameras in my homeowners association if they aren’t pointing at someone else’s property. Nevertheless, about 1/5 of my neighbors have these kind of cameras, usually pointed right at the house across the street. It’s as if doorbell cams aren’t considered security cameras. I’m sure no one would ever do anything creepy, right?

6 Likes

Orwell missed that we would actually voluntarily pay to be surveilled…

8 Likes

Buy the Ring door cam now!
What are you waiting for?
Don’t you want to protect your house, your family, your power mower?
I mean, holy christ, you could be murdered in your own bed!
Quick, they’re coming for you…

4 Likes

I’d say this was a tone deaf ad but then I doubt the people writing these have any idea where they end up.

But advertising a product on a blog that actively rails against said product and its effect on society is … bold.

7 Likes

Amazon have not shown that they are trustworthy enough to be part of my smart home network, sorry.

3 Likes

Boing Boing: bemoan surveillance capitalism on one hand, hawk surveillance capitalism on the other.

9 Likes

@vlark

Jason got rid of all the contributors who actually care about digital privacy anyway. This is perfectly inline with the blog side of boingboing.

2 Likes

I hope you mean that to a detriment.

If there is any value in a place, when I think of what BB stood for for so many years, seeing shit like this directly advertised here tells me that not only is there no god, but I can’t actually trust anyone who tries to earn my trust anymore.

Yeah, I know Cory is gone. But I also know I’m worth something. So are all the people who came here over the years from all the anti surveillance capitalism stories, and the culture of understanding why surveillance capitalism is bad.

Hawking specifically this product, specifically here, tells me one thing- regardless of what bb is now, they choose to throw away what theyve stood for for years.

The last time I called out hypocrisy in the bb store like this, I was banned for 15 days or so.

Ban me forever and delete my words if you fear someone pointing out your blatant hypocrisy bb.

6 Likes

Sorry, I thought it was obvious.

2 Likes

Cory Doctorow would like a word…

https://onezero.medium.com/how-to-destroy-surveillance-capitalism-8135e6744d59

4 Likes