The Ring video doorbell gives you eyes at your front door – and it’s also 10% off

Ring, Ring, why don’t you give me a call? Amazon-owned doorbells aren’t answering after large-scale outage

2 Likes

I wish Cory was still a posting member of Boing Boing. That said, check out his new site, Pluralistic: https://pluralistic.net/

6 Likes

Thanks for this.
I stop by Pluralistic regularly. Will probably end up signing up for the newsletter.

Cory’s doing real work and saying things worthy of consideration.
And he can be hilarious.

3 Likes

Not even if they were giving them away. I’d rather not subject myself to surveillance from Amazon and their partners. Also not a fan of IoT cloud devices in general.

Edit:

5 Likes

Ring’s new security drone flies around inside your home, records video, talks to Amazon Alexa

It’s as if they’d watched Black Mirror and thought it was a blueprint.

Although the hardware itself looks pretty cool and like it would be a good basis for hacking.

1 Like

I hear that they come at night, mostly… and they use the back door.

1 Like

This could be a great basis for a Ring style horror film; where a family moves into a house that has one of these doorbells, and the doorbell shows footage from that time, last year, when the previous homeowners all died mysterious and gory deaths. Just the view out on to the porch with some shadowy figure getting closer and closer to the house; like MR Jame’s “The Mezzotint”.

1 Like

I will agree that could be a good plot for a horror movie while also agreeing there’s no way I will watch it.

2 Likes

I could see a “Ring” meets “Blair Witch Project” (in terms of docu-style) mash up.
Would be good, and I’m with @Tamsin_Bailey - will not watch! Just thinking of it is giving me the creeps.

2 Likes

Me neither :scream: Thirty years ago was I really into horror films; but now I’ve lost that love for the stress of watching them. I still like to watch things about the special effects work and reviews of horror films; but not the actual thing. :older_man:

2 Likes

Not at all on the level of what you’re talking about, but where I live a lot of us have game cams up in the woods or pointing at our lawns. A friend was scrolling through, squirrel, squirrel, deer, fox, and so on and then 2 random guys show up in the photo, first at the edge of the lawn, then right up near the camera. Harmless, but very creepy.

2 Likes

Yup. Hilda is about as dark as I can manage these days.

Trølls, witches, ghosts, elves, curses and other weirdness but fun.

3 Likes

This show is absolutely beautiful. My daughter and I watched the first season a few times together (and watched the second as soon as it was available). There were a handful of moments that freaked her out, but not enough to scare her away from it entirely.

1 Like

It has made me laugh out loud and cry a few times too. Twig’s story… :cry: I love it, can’t recommend it enough.

No scary doorbells either!!

Twig’s story and the story of the midnight giant from the first season were everything I love about writing for children. They were so full of heart, imagination, and good emotions. I’m pretty sure I teared up a few times during each season.

Amusingly enough, the only person I know with one of those doorbells uses it to scare her kids :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I watched “Trollhunter” and “She-Ra” on Netflix recently; and they are about a dark as I like to go :smiley: I’ll be checking out “Hilda” (thanks for the recommendation). #teamscorpia

2 Likes

Really? I wasn’t aware of this but Cory did recently post about him leaving here as not being planned. What I can’t understand is if what you say is true then why are comments allowed on posts hawking this internet of shit surveillance crap?

It’s been almost exactly a year I left Boing Boing, after 19 years. It wasn’t planned, and it wasn’t fun, but it was definitely time. I still own a chunk of the business and wish them well. But after 19 years, it was time for a change.

https://pluralistic.net/2021/01/13/two-decades/#hfbd

1 Like

Oh it’s just speculation on my part.

1 Like

I’m up to episode 4 of “Hilda”, and I’m enjoying it a great deal. It reminds me of Tove Jansson’s Moomin stories; though more energetic. The artwork style is lovely, and the character’s are engaging. I like that it has that slightly creepy edge of the Moomin tales. Mysterious things occurring and strange character designs. Thank you, again, for the signpost. :wave:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.