Amazon bans 1+ million coronavirus products for false claims, addresses price-gouging for masks and sanitizer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/27/coronavirus-amazon-snake-oil.html

3 Likes

I, for one, would rather be able to buy no masks at $2/each than a few masks at $5/each.

2 Likes

The people with the highest prices are usually drop-shippers engaged in a little retail arbitrage, or else they have a repricer setting their prices. In other words, they’re the ones below the bottom feeders.

5 Likes

So if Amazon can cut through the shit, maybe Twitter and Facebook can too?

3 Likes

Now I’m a big believer in Darwinism, but if Amazon could get rid of this crap too (negative ion trinkets) that would be a feather in their cap.

3 Likes

And here I was, all ready to start selling these carbolic smoke balls:

3 Likes

Good on them. I hope they also watch out for price spikes in toilet paper. The run has begun, in Tokyo.

here everyone. make N95’s at cost

https://grabcad.com/library/fully-automatic-n95-mask-machine-1

1 Like

Well, that is commendable, especially the fake cures. That will literally kill someone.

I assuming you’re referring to the paradox that price gouging actually makes it so people are less likely to hoard more than they need? If so, I agree some price inflation will help so more people acquire a scarce resource, but too much means only a few can afford it.

1 Like

I was shopping for N95 masks just a couple days ago and found what is described here. I’m glad to hear they’re cracking down.

I wonder though if they’ll be finding and dealing with the variant I found - reasonably priced masks with exorbitant shipping costs. I was finding 10-packs for normal selling prices with over $400 for shipping. Keep your eyes open out there folks - it’s starting to look like the wild west.

1 Like

And then there is shit like this:

Money to be made! ®

(ETA: Damn! I did not mean to pun, but there it is!)

1 Like

They’re hoping to clean up.
Assholes.

Ok, I’ll stop.

1 Like

meanwhile, on BoingBoing…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.