Amazon buys Hollywood legend MGM for $8.5bn

Privatize the gains, and socialize the losses.

13 Likes

Capitalism™

8 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

12 Likes

From what I understand Mark Burnett owns and controls all that footage. It was hashed over a lot after the Billy Bush tape leaked. Both CBS and MGM claimed they didn’t even have access to most of it.

1 Like

Coming Soon: James Bond in No Time To Buy.

Only on Amazon Prime.

5 Likes

This may be the most depressing thing I’ve read in a long time.

1 Like

When I first heard about this, it reminded me of when AOL bought Time Warner back in 2000 or so. I was a small pixel in the intersection of that Venn diagram back then, and saw what a ghastly mess it was. AOL didn’t know what they were getting themselves into and they got their butts kicked daily by the media kings in their own fiefdoms (such as Warner Bros, New Line Cinema, Castle Rock Entertainment, Warner Books, Time magazine, etc, etc).

I don’t think that will happen here because there is probably enough ego on the Amazon side to counter the ego that comes with the movie biz. And Amazon already produces their own works too. And that’s what makes this acquisition scarier.

4 Likes

Of all the Mr. Burns-y guys in the world, Bezos is the most one.

4 Likes

“Amazon will get the rights to the Golden Age studio’s film and television library.“

New copyright extension legislation coming in three… two…

6 Likes

If they re-voiced Alexa with Samuel L Jackson, isn’t Bezos’ purchase intent clear?

Me: Alexa, please turn on the kitchen lights…

Trump-voiced Alexa: Move your lazy ass and go turn it on yourself, cucksuckah. I’m too busy watching Russian wh*res p!ss on a bed.

Dammit. I kinda want an Alexa now.

Clearly he needs the Moonraker to have a shot at beating SpaceX to Luna.

2 Likes

If you want to have guaranteed access to movies in the future, you absolutely should buy them on disk. Movies (and TV shows) disappear from streaming services all of the time. Particularly if they’re not that popular any more.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of talk about the place that Turner actually owns all the pre-1986 MGM films, which aren’t included in the deal. Most reputable place I’ve seen to mention it tho is the Daily Mail, so maybe take it with a grain of salt.
Would love to have access to the MGM catalogue as a package streaming deal (most Australian sites basically ignore 20th century cinema), but I’m damned if I’m paying Bezos for it.

4 Likes

It sounds like he probably doesn’t have access to the footage. If he did, though, it’s unlikely he would release it. You see the state of the country. Why do anything to guarantee Trump another term?

1 Like

I believe that’s true. But it’s a little more complicated than that.

Turner bought all of MGM, then rapidly sold it/parted it out in the 80s. Keeping just the MGM proper film back catalog. But not necessarily TV material, subsidiaries and so forth. There was a United Artists purchase at one point, Turner didn’t keep any of that. Supposedly.

Sony ended up with their studio lots, TV production was sold off elsewhere.

Apparently outside of what Turner kept, it’s a bit of a rats nest as to who owns what. So MGM’s catalog of clear rights is post 86 for anything MGM film studios derived.

But there’s still UA, polygram and bunch of other stuff as well.

Turner in turn ended up swallowed hy the AOL Time Warner beast.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.