Amazon buys Whole Foods for $13.7bn

Amazon already has people employed for same day delivery. This seems a natural fit.

Whole Foods used to sell oranges for $6 each. Now they cost double that, but you get them dropped on your house from a drone.

I see this as a possible rebranding of the Amazon Go technology - instead of putting “Amazon Go” on a 7-11-sized food store they put “Whole Foods”. Existing larger Whole Foods locations can act as central production kitchens and distribution points to the smaller street corner "Whole Foods"

1 Like

Back in the day, my mother would ask to speak to the butcher - when supermarkets still had butchers on staff - some still do - as in my Florida panhandle Publix local grocery. My mother knew and the butcher knew that the bright red rib-eyes were nowhere near as tasty as the brown ones they took off display as un-sellable. It got to the point where he saved her those best brown steaks. If you have a butcher in your grocery ask him for the BROWN meat - it is ready to broil and you’ll be rewarded - maybe even get a discount.

2 Likes

They lob law bombs!

2 Likes

Hellz yeah.
I bring it home and leave it out, even in the sun.

o_0

I have no idea what NYC grocery stores are like, but the Price Chopper and Hyvee chains in KC are significantly cheaper than Whole Foods. I went in there one time as I was in a rush for lunch, thinking I could just grab a sandwich. Wowsa.

Now, to be fair, their quality is pretty good. I don’t think their produce was any better, per se, but the prepared foods were nice. Both Price Chopper and Hyvee now have the special healthy sections similar to Whole foods and probably comparably priced, but with out a doubt if I am just eating regular food and bachelor chow, Whole Foods isn’t the way to go. There is a reason there aren’t any where I live, but over in the nicer neighborhoods, as they clearly cost more on average.

1 Like

Other than avocados which I actually select for “ripe right now” vs “will be ripe in a few days” depending on what I need, no, I don’t do any of this. I grab the milk and bread from the front of the shelf. If the fruits of vegetables are obviously in bad shape I don’t take them, but I generally find that it applies to the the entire lot, so it is more “buy or not buy”, rather than select the best one. We also have a CSA that delivers fruits and vegetables weekly. And they don’t necessarily look as “clean” as the ones in the supermarket, but it turns out they usually taste fine. I would gladly give up the ability to touch and feel if someone provided a good online experience. Sure, if I regularly got food that was already rotten, I would stop, but I don’t see any reason why an online retailer shouldn’t be able to deliver fresh food reliably.

3 Likes

$13.7 billion.

That’s a lot of Tiger Bars.

2 Likes

Regardless, I am psyched that my Platinum Amazon Prime Credit Card will give me 5% cash back on all Whole Prime Foods purchases! /s

1 Like

But not that much special organic soap

This. In our local supermarket, anything that doesn’t sell in a few days and starts to brown gets put on “manager special” with a discount. Whats more, the stuff that doesn’t sell is often the high priced USDA prime stuff, which is often marked down 30-50%. So yeah, I buy that.

4 Likes

Yep. That’s some expensive shit. Still, having recharging stations just outside is nice.

1 Like

Agreed to your points, in addition…
Old milk can make great cheese, and it is easy!

Fresh baked bread has a short shelf life and we would never get through it all before it molds, so we freeze it when we get home. The whole package is now eaten and the date is irrelevant.

1 Like

I do lots of cooking with “manager special” meat. Dang, it’s cheap!

My favorites are these vacuum-packs of halal chicken breasts that are fairly pricey but don’t seem to sell very well. When they go on ‘manager special’ they’re ridiculously cheap and awesome quality.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess.
I think of frozen bread as stale.
Refrigeration toward the end is what I do, if I think to.

Had to reset my password to login to +1/like this comment.

1 Like

I buy a lot more grocery items online than I used to.

My favorite brand of picked hot peppers? None of the brick and mortar groceries I go to carry them anymore.
My wife’s favorite cereal? None of the brick and mortar groceries I go to carry it anymore.
Plain sodium free rice cakes? None of the brick and mortar groceries I go to carry them anymore.
Our favorite barbecue sauce? None of the brick and mortar groceries I go to carry it anymore.
Our favorite popcorn? None of the brick and mortar groceries I go to carry it anymore.
Regular Ivory dish soap? None of the brick and mortar groceries I go to carry it anymore.
Lysol concentrate? None of the brick and mortar groceries I go to carry it anymore.

I could list twenty more items easily. Wish I had a nickel for every time I’ve read on Amazon - “My family has used this wonderful (name of product) for three generations. It’s completely disappeared from all stores. Thank goodness I have found it here!!!”

1 Like

I’ve found the same thing - more and more the non-perishables I want aren’t available at the local grocery stores - this is especially true of “ethnic” items that, In Toronto, I can often find only in specialty stores in Kensington Market or elsewhere. I don’t live anywhere near those locales so it’s far easier to order them online.

The more hybrid concept of picking groceries online, but then driving to the grocery store and finding your order picked, packed and waiting for you saves a lot of time, too. I know Amazon has been experimenting with that model, and I’ve found it to save a lot of time, especially this time of year where I’m going to the local farmer’s market for produce anyway.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.