Amazon electric vehicle makes an unpleasant sound

they should make the jetson’s car sound

18 Likes

Moto Guzzi, tre cilindri make a lovely noise, mmm.

That aside, we’re talking about speeds where the doppler laws don’t really apply, in places where 30MPH limits are enforced, the sound will travel faster than the car.

3 Likes

Kinda like with boomboxes, the individual sound may be fine, but once you’ve got two or three, it becomes an insufferable cacophony. It would be a pretty dystopian (movie soundtrack) situation if every car was making it’s own “pleasant soundscape” at different pitches and intervals.

9 Likes

It is a statistical certainty that Blind pedestrians (among others) will die in significantly greater numbers if cars cannot be heard while approaching.

It’s all well and good to say “the drivers need to take responsibility for avoiding cyclists and pedestrians” but that’s cold consolation for the victims and their loved ones.

17 Likes

I want a the sound of a multitude of guinea pigs programmed as my artificial car noise.

20 Likes

Who said otherwise? But as I said, people have off days, even the best drivers.

Agreed. But even the best driver fucks up. We’re all human.

And legally, they are always responsible, legally.

11 Likes

I ride a bicycle. I like to know if people are piloting a tonne of metal in my immediate vicinity, especially given the tendency for people to fuck around with their phones instead of paying attention to the road.

13 Likes

I AGREE!!! AND SAME WITH SEAT BELTS, AIRBAGS, AND, FFS, “CRUMPLE ZONES”!!1!
INSTEAD OF MAKING CARS SAFER WHEN THERE IS AN ACCIDENT, WHY NOT JUST NOT HAVE ACCIDENTS!!!

BBS doesn’t like rage posting. Will this get it past the filter?

5 Likes

Right; making sure pedestrians and cyclists can hear approaching cars isn’t about assigning blame, it’s about reducing deadly accidents.

14 Likes

YES! I agree that we should work towards making cities especially as free of cars as possible, and to make public transit more accessible for all of us… but we live in the right now and need to ensure people’s safety right now, not 10, 20, or 30 years from now.

11 Likes

That’s wild. I guess we’ll never know who the mysterious hero was…

11 Likes

again, the sound is emitted backwards so even at slow speeds you don’t hear a car or bike’s engine sound as much when it is coming towards you, you hear it once it has passed and is going away.

also the moto three cylinder engine never made it out of prototype stage, unfortunately. but the due cilindri make a lively sound indeed.

1 Like

Looks like they have an antler to nibble on!

2 Likes

We’ve tried that on almost every other safety feature. It never works. Some percentage of people will make errors, either from their own abilities or from circumstances beyond their control. Each safety feature we layer creates a chance to turn a fatal crash into either an avoided crash or a non-fatal crash. We could act like cars won’t hit pedestrians or we could add noises to reduce the risk. We could act like cars won’t hit pedestrians or we could redesign our windshield wipers.

6 Likes

Yeah, you’re right, I had a friend in Italy who was a huge Guzzista, I was sure they had made more than just that model in the thirties, maybe I’m confusing it with Benelli, as we lived very close to where the factory was (I’m also not discounting early onset dementia)

2 Likes

What they “should” do does not always equate to what they do. I have had three encounters with drivers of electric vehicles who all said essentially “I thought you knew I was behind you” when they nearly struck me with their near-silent vehicles. When I reminded them that their vehicle was silent and thus there was no way to know it was behind me, they all reacted as though I had said it was invisible - in other words, with incomprehension and puzzlement.

Would I have had a case for damages if any of them had struck me? Yep. Would I want to be injured by someone who hadn’t had the the wit to consider the implications of their new-fangled whizbanger? Emphatically not.

Paging King Canute…

6 Likes

That’s a really long startup chime. They need to have the ignition looked at.

/s

5 Likes

I will argue, as someone who gets blinded on the regular by overly bright headlights, that bright lights can only do so much, and it certainly shouldn’t be assumed that brighter lights= more safety. There’s a point where they stop being helpful and start being harmful.

7 Likes

Hello, folks!

Sounds like they took the sound FX straight from some dystopian sci-fi movie’s version of an electric car.

Except, you know, bicycles. Which can certainly kill you if they hit you, make no noise and are common road vehicles. As a bike rider, it aggravates me how often people step in front of me, without looking, against the light. Most aggravating is when they look in my direction, apparently discount me because I’m on a bike, then step in front of me while looking in the opposite direction. They only notice me by my strangled cursing as I swerve into traffic to avoid them.

I’ve taken to playing music over my phone’s speakers just to create some noise, but that creates its own issues.

Unfortunately American culture has normalized some pretty shitty, dangerous driving habits. (e.g. distracted driving, treating the deaths of pedestrians and bicyclists as if they’re at fault, etc.)

4 Likes