Amazon electric vehicle makes an unpleasant sound

My Renault Zoe has a pedestrian notification sound and is no big deal. Perhaps this one is more annoying, or maybe we are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I said it before and I will say it again. Jetsons car sound for E-vehicles:

17 Likes

Couldn’t they at least go for something more ominous, it’s supposed to be a warning after all … I vote for Rover

10 Likes

My audio choices for my (proposed) EV.

7 Likes

If they could just replace 0-30 mph with

we’d be golden

7 Likes

Channel your inner 5 year old and stick playing cards on your wheels to make that annoying clicking noise?

5 Likes

So…just have it play Ragas or other Fateh Ali Khan Family productions according to speed instead?

1 Like

This is literally the first rule of what’s called the “safe systems” approach to designing for road safety, which is the dominant approach in most countries that take road safety seriously.

“ People make mistakes which can lead to crashes; however, no one should die or be seriously injured on the road as a result of these mistakes.”

http://www.towardszerofoundation.org/thesafesystem/

6 Likes

Fuck that noise!

4 Likes

I thought it had a very Demolition Man feel to the sound.

the white/blue of newer led headlights is murder on my eyes. i seriously worry about driving at night in some areas because of them. while they are super bright, i also think there’s something about the spectrum they use.

7 Likes

All jokes aside I think the best thing would be a standardized sound with well chosen characteristics. Standardizing based on the actual needs means we can skip the retrofitting issues we are seeing with some back up alarms and possibly avoid some of the noise pollution harms that we see from highway proximity. Offhand you would want a distinct sound that fades quickly outside of the area of concern and that can be localized easily. It may be a minor concern now, but as a growing share of our vehicles switch to electric the need to get it right grows, but so does the cost of fixing it if we get it wrong.

5 Likes

I actually thought about putting a windchime on the bike, but I realized I’d not get very far before going completely insane.

5 Likes

I figure that’s the sound you want for your car alarm. But it better not false alarm.

Ok I added some jetsons car sound sound

7 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed is that modern combustion cars are, save some outliers, very quiet these days. I can’t notice any real difference in noise level between a typical car rolling past me at 25 MPH or an electric. It gives me the feeling that “electric cars being too quiet” is a made-up conservative/carbon-economy talking point. Only at parking-lot speeds would I ever be concerned, and even in that situation, modern internal combustion engines can be surprisingly quiet as well.

3 Likes

I bike too but at nearly any speed above 10 or 12 mph, not much but wind noise comes through unless it’s obnoxiously loud. Which I consider a good reason to frequently check my helmet-mounted mirror.

7 Likes

With a double loud 6am mode.

agreed. and it wouldn’t hurt to give them some noise too.

regardless of engine type, 1+ tons of metal on wheels can do a lot of damage to a pedestrian even at low speeds.

3 Likes

The recent Tesla holiday update allows you to do exactly that, as well “Monty Python-esque” coconut hoofbeats, tropical elevator music, and snake jazz.

6 Likes