Amazon not releasing new Woody Allen movie as planned

I mistake 7 year olds for grownup men all the time, doesn’t everybody?

Oh good. Keep it classy, AGC, and call every Star Wars fan illiterate. That’s the way to engender an “adult conversation” that you’re hoping for.

It’s actually a bit bizarre for people who’ve only seen his more ‘mature’ movies – or anything he’s done in the last 20 years, really – to go back and watch his early, utterly insane movies. What’s Up, Tiger Lily?, Sleeper, and Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex are wacky, imaginative, slapsticky, chaotic comedies, and it’s hard to picture the same filmmaker churning out these mediocre films about boring, nervous, milquetoast guys being harried.

2 Likes

Why doesn’t it matter? If he’s guilty, there should be legal consequences. He’s accused of doing terrible, disgusting things to his daughter; if what she alleges is true, doesn’t she deserve some institutional justice?

Furthermore, saying “it doesn’t matter anymore if he is guilty or not” is tantamount to saying “it doesn’t matter anymore whether I believe the accuser is credible.” While it might not matter to you, it sure as hell matters to survivors of sexual abuse who weren’t believed or are afraid to speak our because they’re afraid they won’t be believed. Saying it “doesn’t matter anymore if he is guilty or not” perpetuates the trauma these people suffer everyday.

2 Likes

Yes, that is exactly how public scorn and sanction works in your life too. When you are presented with sufficient evidence that someone is a scumbag you stop dealing with them. Some other threshold will have you encourage others to do the same. Unless your standard of behavior is legal conviction before you will stop putting up with someone spare us your faux outrage.

1 Like

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Woody Allen. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Woody Allen’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Woody Allen truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Woody Allen’s existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Woody Allen’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools… how I pity them. :joy:

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Woody Allen tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

1 Like

You could have started a new topic as easily as anyone.

2 Likes

Why do you keep using bad logic to circuitously defend Woody Allen?

8 Likes

Nobody said that.

This is lynching, BTW - you need to stop comparing men suffering consequences for their actions (often not even legal) to the murder of thousands (mostly) African Americans during Jim Crow:

6 Likes

The hunting scene with the super goyish brothers alone is worth the price of admission.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear your threshold for a good laugh is so high.

I do prefer his older funny films.

2 Likes

:thinking:

Lookameee im soooo edgy

1 Like

who the fuck says I try to defend him?!? I postet this because everytime someone from the #metoo-movement (and asia argento is a vital part of it) made a twitter-statement about some prominent figure, it lands right here on BoingBoing, provided that the abuser is male, at least thats the impression I got, especialy in the case of asia argento, which is one of the main-acusers of weinstein. THATS were my “you aint hypocrites, aint ya?” came from!

and for your information, I got a male tongue in my mouth when I was 12 AND I was fucked by a 33-year old women when I was 13 years old, so dont give me this bullshit about “defending” woody allen, ok?

I am really fucking sick of this self-righteous from some here.

I think the larger lesson here is that he’s most likely a moral goblin who maybe doesn’t deserve to be patronized. There’s enough smoke from his incredibly questionable behavior to rationally believe there’s likely some fire there to it.

They should release his crap movie and donate any proceeds from it to RAINN.

The real question is whether they’d be cutting ties with him if his movies were still profitable.

(See also: Kelly, R.; Tarantino, Q.)

Ok, my apologies. Please don’t feel unwelcome here. This topic touches a nerve, which lowers the barrier for jumping to conclusions.

1 Like

Perhaps I was being generous when I said most Hollywood movies are made for illiterate 13 year old boys; it’s more like for illiterate 11 year old boys.

Poe Dameron: Permission to hop in an X-Wing and blow something up?
Leia Organa: Permission granted.

If you’re trying to convince people that you are a truly sophisticated moviegoer then maybe avoid getting overly worked up about the latest plot developments in a popular film series about Space Wizards.

5 Likes

John Sayles.

3 Likes

For more recent directors, I’d add to that:

Along with (who has done both more arty films and some Doctor Who):

Plus this director:

4 Likes

Some good suggestions but still too ‘artsy’. Four of the best show of the 1990s, Friends, Seinfeld, Sex And City, Frasier where very simple concepts. Groups of people entwined in normal life, with the boring bits cut out. There is no consistent director that puts out films people in their 30s would want to see.