Amazon not releasing new Woody Allen movie as planned

Are they gonna remove everything Michael Jackson related too?

1 Like

While it’s still entirely possible Michael Jackson was a child abuser, it’s very notable that to date not one person has come forward as an adult to say “Michael Jackson molested me” or even “I personally witnessed Michael Jackson engaging in a sexual act with a child.”

4 Likes

Ah, the old “not only will I double-down on insulting people, but I’ll do so by fundamentally misunderstanding the movie I’m using as an example of something so dumb that it’s written for 11 year olds” debate tactic.

2 Likes

Are you speaking for all people in their 30s? Because I’m not sure you are. From what I’ve seen, quite a few of them are totally into the current wave of genre fiction that’s dominating the screen. It’s not just kids who are buying tickets, because the biggest demographics in our society right now are boomers and millennials.

I mean, if you’re unhappy with what’s out there, then that’s fair enough. [ETA] But there are plenty of slice of life films out there… Destination Wedding, Crazy Rich Asians… this one called Puzzle seems interesting. What about last year’s Three Billboards out of Ebbing Missouri, that was a good one. That Eighth Grade movie seems interesting, very slice of life.

Seems like there are plenty of film options if genre fiction isn’t your deal.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, and wasn’t he found not guilty of the charges at the trial:

Still entirely possible, but as you note no one has come forward, and he’s been dead for years now.

2 Likes

I’m not the poster you asked, but I do not believe Dylan Farrow. I think she is truthfully describing false memories. I’d put the probability that her memories are fabrications at around 80%.

Most children and some adults are capable of forming memories of things that didn’t happen. The conditions that are necessary include outside repetition of the narrative and strong social support for the false memories. Dylan Farrow’s mother provided that. Her brother Ronan has championed her cause, but her other brother Moises believes that she’s channeling her mother’s rage at Woody Allen.

I payed attention to the criminal investigation against Allen when the charges were first made public, and saw a whole lot of hate from his ex-wife, including a heavily edited videotape where she appeared to coach Dylan. It’s clear that even if Dylan Farrow’s memories are accurate, she lived in the kind of relationship where false memories can be created.

Also, one of the damning facts used to color the case and tar Allen with guilt by scandalous association was his romance and marriage of Mia Farrow’s then teen aged adopted daughter, Soon-Yi. Soon-Yi and Allen are still married and while she stays out of the spotlight, she also attributes Dylan’s memories to Mia Farrow’s hate.

BTW, when false memories of child abuse are created, the children suffer brain changes that mimic those of survivors of actual abuse. The memories may be false, but the trauma is real.

I find that ‘slice of life’ pics come in waves, some years are better than others. Woody Allen was a predictable director when it came to such movies. I also feel that ‘slice of life’ feels can get too grungy and artsy, he kept them fairly light and airy. Looking for a date movie that is heavier than a rom-com but lighter than art-house.

On the one hand, Woody Allen seems to be a creative and clever creep, with a misogynistic streak a mile wide and a steady obsession with teens, “co-eds,” women decades younger than himself, and so on.

And yet: One of Mia Farrow’s other children here wrote an important piece that casts a ton of doubt on her version of what happened; I strongly recommend reading it.

You mean all of the Star Wars films then? Not that there isn’t good stuff in them while they have taken on a life of their own they are a call back to Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, etc, which were aimed at hey you guessed it 13 year old boys. Fucking ewoks.

ETA Also Jar Jar was not half as annoying as Lucas obviously not knowing where to go with the plot in the prequels.

A cursory examination of his life and filmography confirms that this is true even in the absence of those accusations.

4 Likes

Your concerns have been duly noted. :wastebasket:

3 Likes

I’m not denying that. And I’m not denying that any of his other gross offenses on their own warrant writing him off. (I haven’t seen a film of his since 1991.)

All I’m saying is that, in the midst of this, he has also been accused of sexually molesting his adopted daughter. His ex-wife Mia Farrow accused him of doing so in August 1992, seven months after she found out about his relationship with her adopted daughter from another relationship, Soon-Yi Previn.
The Soon-Yi relationship is plenty queasy, and, sure, reason enough to cross “Woody Allen movies” off of your Netflix cue. For a long time, too, I believed Mia’s accusation of molesting their adopted daughter. Her son Moses says absolutely not, and he reveals that, for the kids, life with Mia was plenty harrowing and dysfunctional without Woody Allen being present in any way.

Again, I haven’t seen any of his movies since 1991’s “Shadows and Fog.” After sitting through that and reading the news about Soon-Yi, I’d had enough. But he might not be guilty of every offense he’s been accused of, that’s all.

Absolutely.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.