Amazon PR accidentally confirms the existence of a fictional dystopian Amazon technology

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/08/amazon-pr-accidentally-confirm.html

7 Likes

If I had Photoshop chops, I’d do a Bezos/Borg Queen mashup.

5 Likes

Uh, Amazon didn’t confirm anything - that was just an empty non-statement from PR.

You shouldn’t let your anti-Amazon hatred lead you to jump to conclusions, Cory.

6 Likes

It’s what they’re best at!

6 Likes

next up - they automate the cutomers. since people without jobs can’t buy anything.

welcome to your new robot economy…

12 Likes

It is a sign of things to come. AI generated, content-less, meaningless response. The reign of the machines has already begun and we never noticed.

14 Likes

Forgive me if you’re being dense as a literary device, but I believe the point Cory was making was that the emptiness of the PR statement implicitly confirms the fictional story. A meaningful human PR response would have acknowledged that it was a work of fiction.

13 Likes

I don’t think @doctorow published this article…

5 Likes

8 Likes

I know - that was me being intentionally dense

3 Likes

I had to add the Locutus eye as the change from Borg Queen to Bezos wasn’t all that dramatic…

edit to add: JeBzuz of Borg here looks like what I imagine the Ultras look like in Alastair Reynolds’ Revelation Space milieu. 'Look at me! I’m only 274 years young with this new chassis!"

13 Likes

Maybe an automated one too…

A glorious prosperous economy that runs automatically and without human input forever shifting boots from one human face to another. That the boots are filled with 5% off coupons and invasive cookies is irrelevant.

2 Likes

If the machines managed to do a certain amount of the work then they could pay their humans a living wage or possibly more…

Ok second coffee not yet consumed. Someone hit me with a sporting implement to chase away crazy thoughts.

This is actually a pretty great point: if they say workplaces (which are only made hellish by company policy) for personnel should be automated out of existence, what stops a corporation from making things worse in the profession that follows that?

Hey, I am far more intensively critical of Amazon and hate them much more. Where’s my “hates the precious” badge?

3 Likes

I just snorted coffee all over my keyboard.

5 Likes

Why is automation dystopian - the only dystopian element is societal organization that doesn’t use that to create more free time and abundance.

1 Like

I’m a former Amazon programmer who toured a couple of “Fulfillment Centers.” I watched the Kiva robots do their work, I saw autonomous transport robots roll from one end of the warehouse to the other, I marvelled at robot arms routing packages. All of this was buried in endless rows of shelves and a vast network of conveyor belts as complex as a circulatory system. Saying that Amazon is going to automate these places as completely as it can is about as much a stretch of the imagination as saying that a coin dropped off the top of the Empire State Building is going to embed itself in the pavement below.

2 Likes

Dude that 5% smacked me right in the face, that’s the employee discount, Prime is a digital service, I dont understand why we dont get that shit for free, I do, but, ugh

1 Like