Amazon reveals title of its LOTR series

Originally published at: Amazon reveals title of its LOTR series | Boing Boing

7 Likes

It could be worse! I hope they don’t completely oversex and ultraviolence these stories; the world of LOTR doesn’t need that to convey action/adventure/drama etc.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t put odds on them not adding splosions and sex. I’m thinking the fanfic crowd are louder than the purists.

4 Likes

the show is apparently TV-14, so no fears about excessive nudity and sex, i’m guessing.

also, i’m encouraged by the news that while it is easy to assume this was a CGI bit, it’s actually all practical effects. That commitment and attention to detail is on par with what Peter Jackson did for his movies. They seem to really understand the high bar they have to achieve here.

14 Likes

I shall remain cautiously optimistic. There’s a lot of awesome potential for entertainment here!

eta: It’s not that nudity and sex are bad; I’m a big fan. However, I don’t think they belong in tellings of this particular mythology.

6 Likes

That’s why we need an Elric show, dammit

15 Likes

I admit I’m a little bit curious what that would look like in this universe.

I mean, DEM BEARDS…

7 Likes

Yes, and also OH MY GOD NO.

5 Likes

I have my doubts.

4 Likes

The thing that concerns me is they are not allowed to use much if anything from the Silmarillion or any of the other Middle Earth materials. They bought the TV rights to LOTR off WB and the Estate. The Estate is still unwilling to license anything additional.

That leaves them with the info from the novel, and summaries of things in the appendices as source material. Which are pretty thin as goes the time period the show is set.

That means they’ll be creating most of this stuff from scratch. And that tends to go a bit cock eyed.

5 Likes

What you got against Cheery Littlebottom?

26 Likes

The Expanse was one of the best shows on TV, the effects and sets and everything was just do damn good - but sure move the money to this turkey.

4 Likes

I liked The Expanse TV series but this is as good a time as any to put the show on hiatus if they’re staying anywhere close to the source material, because after the events of the final episode the narrative in the books jumped forward two or three decades. So if the series gets a revival/spinoff some time in the 2040s that would work just about right.

11 Likes

Well as long as we’re objectifying ladybeards…

8 Likes

How about some real life bearded lady heroes…

11 Likes

I needs me a New Zealand travelogue after being cooped up for so long.

9 Likes

Depends on which stories they tell. Beren and Luthien would rightfully deserve some romantic scenes, and The Children of Hurin would make GOT seem tame.

11 Likes

Any word on the food in it?

6 Likes

The Rings of Power? Truly awful.

2 Likes

Some people said it was a bad CGI. Then they released a making of video. I think they abused the filters.

6 Likes