Watch the new trailer for the JRR Tolkien biopic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/06/watch-the-new-trailer-for-the.html

5 Likes

Odds that it has a “Oh no, not another fucking elf” scene? Because it should.

7 Likes

Obviously I’m going to go see it. But the trailer was a little generic.

3 Likes

looking forward to this, but i hope they don’t over-muddle the influence his early life had on specific things in the LOTR series. i mean, yes, they did, but he also had an incredible imagination and came up with plenty of things out of whole cloth.

9 Likes

It would actually be kind of hilarious if they retconned Orlando Bloom’s character into WWI out of a misguided attempt at fan service.

10 Likes

I just hope they don’t do the punny self-reference thing too much. I know the “fellowship” line is highlighted in the trailer, but I would hope that it’s not punctuated too sharply within the actual film. If Tolkien mentions an unexpected party, or C.S. Lewis mentions a wardrobe, I’m right out.

7 Likes

Makes me think of that Star-Wars-themed parody film of Shakespeare in Love.

8 Likes

They’re expanding it into a trilogy, right?

10 Likes

It always bugs me when they use BFLs as set pieces for these kinds of things. Look we are back stage at a movie studio you can tell because they have a 12 K burning tungsten for some reason, 2 9 light Feys and what look like a couple of 2 K mole soft boxes, in the back ground, all buring. That is a lot of foot candles for a back light. And it all looks like a stop below they Keys.
The movie looks good though

2 Likes

Tolkien was a savior to me as a child / teen, that and my bong.

16 Likes

“There and Bong again.”

15 Likes

I hope the include the parts where he decodes German Enigma messages and then goes on to perform at Wembley Stadium.

4 Likes

This really has the ring of truth to it.

2 Likes

I have an inkling that might happen

4 Likes

For me it was an excessive consumption of mushrooms.

9 Likes

“Look here Private Tolkien, I’m Major Gandalf, and I’m going to get you through this war! Now pick up that ring… I mean, rifle, and follow me!”

Tolkien furiously scribbles in a notebook

7 Likes

A perfectly Hobbit-like habit! :mushroom:

On the actual movie, Karukoski is a pretty good director, so I’m looking forwards to this. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

“Is this the real life?
Is it just fantasy?”

4 Likes

I was thinking of the ones in Radagast’s personal stash. On that subject, do you think that hobbit pipe weed would make good edibles?

3 Likes

"Caught in a landslide,
thank God for this Lembas bread."

5 Likes