Amazon testing 'Orville' biometric tech that scans your hands to pay at Whole Foods, stores will use it starting early 2020

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/03/whole-foods-biometrics.html

Your hands are your ID. New payment system for Whole Foods being tested by Amazon now.

1 Like

There will never be a five finger discount at Whole Foods.

11 Likes

Why? I can already pay with biometric authentication at Whole Foods using Apple Pay, but that way the biometric data is stored inside my phone and not accessible to Amazon. And I can complete the process while my items are still being scanned, so who cares if it takes a few seconds? Itā€™s still not slowing down the checkout process.

Donā€™t tell me Iā€™m going to have to start wearing gloves to the grocery store. (And I guess I should probably already be wearing a balaclava or something?)

5 Likes

Whatā€™s wrong with a credit card? Seems small enough to fit into my pocket. And if weā€™d ever get off our duff and switch to chip+PIN itā€™d be reasonably secure.

I must be an older generation. Iā€™m way more likely to forget to bring my phone than forget to bring my wallet.

1 Like

Amazon testing ā€˜Orwellā€™ biometric tech that scans your hands.

FTFY.

14 Likes

Thatā€™s been my experience too. Unfortunately, if one is a Prime Member, one really does have to remember to bring ones phone.

Amazon is rapidly becoming the Incarnation of Big Brother itself with this and all the bullshit surrounding police and itā€™s ring system

Kind of makes you wonder if anyone in Congress cares about stopping the Privacy nightmare this is going to unleash

Oh yeah nevermind, I forgot Congress is inept, cruel, likes fucking us over because it hates the American people and doesnā€™t care about any of us

2 Likes

This guy wonā€™t make the gradeā€¦

raw

9 Likes

What was that Vonnegut novel where the woman who inherited a large corporation and signed documents with her thumb prints?

They pickled her thumbs.

7 Likes

If this stuff keeps up I might just switch to paying for everything with a painstakingly calligraphed paper check.

ā€œStop rushing me! See, you made me misspell the amount. Now Iā€™ll have to start all over.ā€

I actually wouldnā€™t, but Iā€™d certainly think about it.

8 Likes

Seems like the solution to this is just to pay in cash.

lupin-cash

15 Likes

Does it really matter if itā€™s scanning your hands vs scanning your ever-present cyber-hivemind device? Weā€™re in deep with the monitored-at-every-moment cyber-dystopia at this point, no need to pretend that a hand-scanner is any worse than what weā€™ve got. They can sequence your dna from a hair you leave behind, you are tracked constantly, every day, online and irl.

What-ever! Wake me up when the CME hits and it all goes kaput. :wink:

9 Likes

The next time I feel compelled to spend $265.00 on a weekā€™s groceries, I will remember this and take my custom elsewhere.

7 Likes

Stealing that gif, as it will come in handy for future use.

Thanks!

5 Likes

It matters quite a lot. Biometrics canā€™t be changed (I canā€™t get a new hand when Amazonā€™s servers get hacked and my hand measurements are put up for sale on ā€œthe dark webā€). Card numbers and passwords can.

With my device, I can choose whether to use biometrics or just a passcode, and if I use biometrics, theyā€™re stored only on a chip in my device, not on Amazonā€™s servers. Amazon just gets my account number, which can be changed, and some one-off transaction details.

11 Likes

Agreed.

Using oneā€™s biometrics as a security measure is highly unwise, for a whole plethora of reasons.

8 Likes

my solution has been to stop using whole foods entirely. i went to one of my favorite whole foods about two months after amazon took them over and the quality of the experience had declined so precipitously i was tempted to step outside the building just to make sure i was in the right store. it makes me very sad to witness what has happened to it because the very first whole foods opened up just a couple of miles from my auntā€™s house and the store consisted mostly of bulk barrels and bins. they had some fantastic things. some of the first basmati rice i had seen anywhere, along with many other products that were inexpensive and relatively rare in the grocery business in texas in the period 1980-85.

my situation with respect to grocers is one of the few instances where being in texas is to my advantage because i can opt for an h.e.b. central market.

11 Likes

Completely agree. People need to run away from that company pronto. Everything about what it thinks, believes, and acts upon is shit.

And I live in Seattle.

5 Likes

Leaving aside that biometrics canā€™t be changed (for when that hand data inevitably gets released out into the wild), I wonder about accuracy. How distinct are human hands, really? Cameras capturing images of hands at some distance and unknown positions? The accuracy might be good, but it canā€™t be that good.

A false positive, where it misidentifies someone hand, and thatā€™s all it need to start charging someone elseā€™s credit card? Thatā€™s really not going to be good.

And in real life:

Crap, that was 14 years agoā€¦ (and all thatā€™s happened since is theyā€™ve realized they need to make some checks that the finger is still attached. And moved on to eyeballs and hands as identifiersā€¦)

3 Likes