Amazon testing 'Orville' biometric tech that scans your hands to pay at Whole Foods, stores will use it starting early 2020

tumblr_oe78xpcawv1tv6xlbo1_250|nullxnull

1 Like

Thereā€™s that too! There are other organic options now where I live - Sprouts, both Kroger and Publix have organic choices, farmerā€™s markets, etc. Honestly, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve been to a whole foods since Amazon bought them.

Me too. Iā€™m finding this a worrying trend, honestly. The argument Iā€™ve heard is that it cuts down on labor costs, as itā€™s quickerā€¦ I donā€™t personally buy that, though. Youā€™re still having another company taking a cut of your profits, too, which probably evens out whatever you might save on the extra 30 seconds it takes to make change.

2 Likes
  1. Has Seth MacFarlane been consulted?
    Orville

2. We have to scan our palm to enter work. It doesnā€™t work for everyone. It especially doesnā€™t work for everyone when itā€™s cold outside.

1 Like

1 Like

@the_borderer

I just recently saw some paper discussing possible methods for determining if an eye was still part of a living body or not, for an eye-scanner. I donā€™t know if we should be heartened that theyā€™re thinking about this before someone gets their eye plucked out, or horrified that they havenā€™t already implemented such systems to prevent such a thingā€¦

They did say that it wouldnā€™t be necessary to put oneā€™s hand on a scanner with this system. Which is what made me wonder how accurate it could be, as that would mean that the very shape of the hand, when simply held up to the camera, wouldnā€™t be consistent.

An interesting method of excluding dark-skinned customers from shopping at your store by making it impossible for them to use your payment systemā€¦

False negatives would also be very bad for a payment system. If even some small percent of your customers waste time waving their hand around and getting rejected, and then having to pull out a credit card (or, worse, being forced to leave with no groceries at all), the system doesnā€™t last long.

Up until fairly recently, my mother always paid by check when she bought something at a store. Every so often, the check-scanning system would have a fit that would take extra time to resolve. She finally got annoyed enough to use her chipped credit card (for the first time), and once she realized how easy that was, she never went back. If one is starting out using easy payment systems, the hand-scanning system has to be flawless to compete.

Presumably thereā€™s enough sub-surface elements being detected that it wouldnā€™t work. At least, not easilyā€¦ (but itā€™s certainly possible to print out a facsimile set of veins or bones in a fake hand)

2 Likes

My school bought a hand-scanner device to secure the front door. Either they cheaped out or they got swindled by the vendor: people quickly realized that the surface you were supposed to put your hand on, palm down, got super gross; and also that apparently most peopleā€™s hands are sufficiently symmetrical that putting your other hand on the plate palm up provided an outline similar enough to be accepted.

Iā€™ve no doubt that the state of the art is considerably better; but this one was not an impressive showing.

Also, they might have left the default vendor passwords unchanged on the control unit and not VLANed it off from the default data VLAN were all the PCs had free reign.

2 Likes

Huh? Are you in defense? Thatā€™s probably the only place were I would deem this as acceptable.

2 Likes

Financial institution.

1 Like

Huh. Yeah, thank you but Iā€™ll pass. Itā€™s effin bad that I have to give fingerprints for a passport (and I dropped every country that requires me given them one), but any other biometric data I give stays on my devices and nowhere else.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.