Amazon to acquire Ring.com for over $1 billion

This is exactly it. I attended a talk by an executive from LinkedIn, who was explaining why Google acquired Nest. Access to information about when families are home, since the heater adjusts depending on whether the family is at home or not. Now Amazon and Google are effectively collecting audio data on millions of American families. In addition, Amazon will now have video feed of everyone who comes to your door. I think it’s time companies begin doing what Apple has done, which is to provide assurances that this data will not be permanently stored. Amazon’s expansion into recording devices in the home just has too much potential for abuse.

10 Likes

When do we get our Schriebman’s port and get added to the battery pack?

1 Like

I wonder if Amazon will turn out to be a front for the NSA, or if the NSA will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Amazon?

2 Likes

And thieves will replicate the 2 way radio transmission and steal the package.

IoS. This is not going to end well.

2 Likes

As opposed to any old security camera? They’re designed with remote interaction in mind so probably longer than you think.

Partners in crime.

1 Like

I’ve never seen statistics on how widespread this problem really is. There have been articles describing people making deliveries taking pictures to prove they were not at fault, and videos posted of people caught taking packages. It’s not clear that the thefts outnumber undelivered/refund scams, though. Maybe this is why Amazon would like to have video.

2 Likes

I think mostly it just plays well on the news. I’d be willing to bet that the percentages are similar or even less compared to historical trends, but the signal is boosted significantly simply because of volume.

1 Like

Now I have thoughts of THX 1138 and the unconcealed surveillance camera in the medicine cabinet.
tumblr_lq9np56TuX1qmpg90o1_500

In my perfect world, every news story would be accompanied by a statistic telling people how often this happens to people and then comparing that number to known/relevant concerns.

2 Likes

Remember they also buy the installed base.

1 Like

Aye, there’s the rub.

I hope they finally do something about that poor girl being made to work in all those messed up videos, sometimes I fear for her mental well-being.

Also, it’s probably a “billion” only when you count stock options that only vest after some amount of time. Also, I have no fucking clue what I’m talking about.

1 Like

Ironically, it’s non-profits that have this problem figured out. Stick all the extra money into construction. Build, build, build!

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if/when they integrate Ring with the Amazon DeepLens tech that combines video data with deep learning neural networks. Maybe some sort of alarm that makes noise when someone other than the homeowner picks up an Amazon package?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.