Amazon wants to give hundreds of millions of dollars to oil companies for carbon removal

Whitney Houston Agree GIF

DAC if remediation, at best. And at $600/ton, very expensive remediation. Changing to actual carbon-free energy is our only hope. Otherwise, it’s just slightly adjusting the countdown.

7 Likes

150M is small change for Amazon. They make more than that in 15 minutes.
Here’s an idea, put a carbon capture device like this on every coal or oil fired power plant, and cut out the middleman.

Ah, but you fail to look at this through the capitalists’ eye. The more expensive something is, the more productive for the economy it is. Resources moving from government (bad) to a private corporation (good) is economic activity, and more money moving is even more economic activity! In reality, you should be thanking them for creating a problem so expensive to fix, and then dragging their heels as long as they could to make it even more expensive!

A message from our chief of environmental strategy:

4 Likes

And I now have “Night on Bald Mountain” stuck in my head. Sigh…

2 Likes

Implicit, explicit, does it really matter? The IMF estimates that, globally, the cost of direct and indirect subsidies to the fossil fuel industry totals over 7 trillion (US) dollars. That was over 7% of global GDP. Of course, some of the things that subsidize the fossil fuel industry also subsidize other industries so it’s not that simple to disentangle. But even the direct subsidies are 18% of that total. In that context, all I have to say about Amazon’s $150 million “investment” is, well, isn’t that cute.

The thought that oil and gas companies are going to rescue us from this mess is so ridiculous it almost isn’t worth considering the maths. They are already pulling back on their promises though, because it just isn’t going to provide shareholder return in the short run.

Actually, it does. When that private company fails (or even when they succeed and create more profits) they get to write off the expense. There is some merit to R&D tax credits, but in this case we are just providing another direct subsidy - it is a public investment, since these companies could be funding the work out of their own pockets. Governments in both Canada and the US are sinking billions into CCS.

This is the truth of the matter.

4 Likes

Better yet, let’s move off coal and oil power plants entirely and cut out the middleman.

3 Likes

I have this secret high tech biotech solution to carbon capture. I call them “trees”

6 Likes

Word

Post must be at least 5 characters long

2 Likes

“The scientists said the discovery that part of the Amazon was emitting carbon even without fires was particularly worrying. They said it was most likely the result of each year’s deforestation and fires making adjacent forests more susceptible the next year.”

That might even work, given that the CIA isn’t supposed to instigate coups inside the US.

1 Like

Is nationalization a coup, though? I know that the CIA might think so, since the first big one they pulled off was at the behest of Britain in Iran, because of Iran nationalizing the oil industry… but is it really? :thinking:

No. The Iran example was my point. They’re only allowed to do this sort of thing1) abroad, not domestically.

1) Preventing, reversing or punishing the nationalization of industries the US has an interest in in foreign countries.

Of course, if it’s domestic then it’s the FBI’s department. :see_no_evil:

… how about the oil companies being bankrupted and destroyed as a result of being held responsible for the consequences of their behavior :confused:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.