Amazon's government charm offensive: bringing lawmakers in for warehouse tours

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/21/amazons-government-charm-off.html

1 Like

Potemkin warehouse?

18 Likes

I’ve visited Amazon “Fulfillment Centers” before (when I worked for Amazon). They’re an amazingly efficient machine. Problem is, it’s difficult to find room for a lot of humanity in the middle of a machine. Every year they add a bit more automation – giant robot arms for routing boxes, Kiva robots for moving shelves around for pickers, autonomous transports to move things from one end of the giant building to the other – and it starts looking more and more like people are just mice crawling around inside a clock. So far, human beings are still the most flexible way to recognize items on shelves, pull them off, and put them in a box. I don’t expect that to be the case beyond 2030.

14 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

8 Likes

Free access to the warehouse should be treated as income for anyone up for election and it be made sure that contribution limits followed accordingly. Fuck Bezos.

3 Likes

I just saw an ad from amazon offering me a free warehouse tour while browsing NYT. Seemed cool but I am sure that the boiler room warehouses that have real problems are not on the tour.

4 Likes

My first thought was they should have to film an episode of a new show called “Undercover Lawmaker,” where they must spend a week in the warehouse as a Workamper.

6 Likes

No way they relaxed the quotas on tour day, right?

3 Likes

A brief tour through selected areas of a warehouse followed by a surf n’ turf lunch where the politician is given 4 minutes to grandstand their worn out speeches to the accolades and forced wonderment to people wearing nice suits.
Sounds like a wasted afternoon for the entire country.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.