Amazon's Ring surveillance doorbell leaks its customers' home addresses, linked to their doorbell videos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/10/bad-neighbors.html

2 Likes

“I don’t like being tracked! I’m going to put my name on a government list for change!”

Privacy never existed. It’s an idea that rich people in power sold you.

5 Likes

The “leaks” are part of the program, don’t even think it isn’t.

9 Likes

Everything you wrote in your summary are things that would convince people (like my parents) to buy a Ring doorbell. I think this campaign isn’t going to get very far.

3 Likes

giphy https://media3.giphy.com/media/n4GnKL68ol0ty/source.gif

5 Likes

Where is Mindy さん with that shocked Quark DS9 .gif when you need her

2 Likes

Bullshit.

Privacy existed for all of human history. Even though people were serfs or any number of other things they could do things in secret quite easily without being watched.

It’s only recently we’re finding out we don’t have any because of Technology

2 Likes

Unlike the USA there are countries and entities that see privacy as an essential human right.

5 Likes

I’ll just leave this in here:

https://uncrate.com/george-orwell-book-set/

For the beautiful spine art if nothing else.

5 Likes

In the “human history” that you happen to find palatable perhaps.

There are countless cultures that existed where the idea of property, ownership, and privacy were second or non existent to the communal good. Every religion in the world preaches this. Every scientific advancement leads us further down the zero-sum reality in which we live.

You are not yourself. You are all others and they are you.

I would presume then, that it would be trivial for a thief to do a reverse lookup to see which homes do NOT have Ring doorbell, and thereby have unattended packages.

1 Like

Shhh! I’m in the process of writing a mobile app to monetize this as we speak.

6 Likes

Are you actually suggesting that Amazon’s Ring system is for the “communal good”? If so, how?

2 Likes

The ring doorbells in my neighborhood are being stolen.
So Law Enforcement baits citizens with a more secure and safer lifestyle, which also includes a hidden backdoor for LE to access/share/abuse the data however they want, meanwhile the doorbells are being stolen, making the citizen less secure data wise and physically.
Meanwhile the FBI wants in on the gag and tells people to be afraid of hackers, and entirely misses the part about our bumbling LE and tech companies willingly losing our data security for a profit.
What a wonderful mess.

2 Likes

I still find your argument to be bullshit.

The only rights human kind has are the ones we determined we are owed. We are owed privacy digitally and otherwise. So we must fight for it democratically.

This is why I donate to the EFF. Among many reasons

6 Likes

I keep hoping someone will start selling fake Rings on Amazon. Preferably from China.

4 Likes

Why did I think China was where they made the original ones? Oh yeah, from that time when some devices tried to “phone home.”

3 Likes

Hmm. An augmented reality phone app that shows you the line of sight of all those doorbell cameras?

2 Likes

Good point. for some reason when I think fake knockoffs, I think China. It could also be because Amazon has opened the gates giving a slew of Chinese knockoffs a place to be sold, along with fake reviews and everything.

Maybe the fake Rings should be manufactured in Scotland?

1 Like

A knockoff of the knockoffs…it just might work (and save me from having to learn how to read Chinese to survive a version of the future that looks like Firefly). :thinking:

1 Like