Amazon's staffing up a news vertical full of crime stories designed to scare you into buying a spying, snitching "smart" doorbell

More cell phones in portrait view?

3 Likes

Um, “news vertical.”
I think that I get this.
That’s where they own the hospital that withholds pre-natal care for some mothers.
They own the school system that provides sub-standard education.
They own the prison system that rotates through people that can’t get jobs between stints.
They own the people committing the crimes.
They own the police who arrest them.
They own the news source reporting on the crimes.
And they own the doorbells that they will sell you… and your ensuing doorbell retrievable data.
They are a little late to the game, but ya’ gotta’ start somewhere, right?

Oh and those saying that crime is down just aren’t looking in the right places.
Crime is thriving in The White House.

2 Likes

Been there, seen that, still traumatised.

4 Likes

Also, Amazon is reported by the NYT to be working to “thwart election meddling” in Europe.

What, when they didn’t bother to thwart the plainly obvious other meddlings?

Side Q -> is the NYT pro-FB? If so, why?

1 Like

Surely racist. Bordering on incitement.

1 Like

Speaking of porch piracy, I’d think you could pretty effectively thwart it by having a locking cage on your porch. Amazon deliveryperson shows up, puts packet in cage, closes the door, cage locks. It wouldn’t have to be super-sturdy or have a fancy lock, just something that you can’t just kick it open. I assume these thieves are opportunistic, so anything that looks like it makes things more difficult for them would have a strong deterrent effect.

I wonder if anyone makes and sells such cages already?

1 Like

A big letter box then.

I seem to remember something like that, yea. But just about anyone can use Amazon lockers as well -

1 Like

hmm, on the one hand, greater convenience at the expense of personal privacy and on the other hand, investment in smart infrastructure…I hope for the best, prepare for the worst in my expectations for mankind.

Yes, such locking boxes are sold. Some try to have a lock that delivery people have the key to.

My own porch doesn’t have room for a giant package box, though. The box has to be bigger than the biggest box you expect to get, and, unlike your deliveries, isn’t removed, so it stays in the way.

Amazon, naturally, sells a number of different locking porch boxes.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=parcel+box+for+packages

As to many other companies.

A random assortment from page 1 of a google search:

https://bench-box.com/
https://www.getboxlock.com/

The metal construction of Landport lock box makes it look like a tool box of some sort, something worth stealing or breaking into all on it’s own. So I think there are some trade offs with lock boxes for porches. (Plus I’m suspicious of Landport’s " Ready for the Landport lifestyle?" sales pitch. It’s a frickin’ lock box, not a lifestyle… :-/ )

1 Like

An underground hidey-hole with a turf-covered hatch would be fun.

Well, there is the problem that the box needs to be obvious enough and easy enough to use to be noticed and used by package delivery people in a hurry, and, preferably, blend in enough not to attract thieves. Kind of a tall order.

One of the bench-style porch boxes blends in well enough that they give you a sticker to put on your door saying to put packages in the bench. Not sure that’s gonna work, given all the other signs I’ve seen delivery people ignore.

1 Like

If you can get past the razor wire and bear trap you are more than welcome to ring my (lightly electrified) door bell. The bones of the former Jehovah’s Witnesses serve as a caution to the next that questions my belief system.

It’s a pre-digested newslike infotainment product

The Lockpicking Lawyer did a great video opening the BoxLock nondestructively with a pair of screwdrivers

1 Like

Ring is also the doorbell I tried years ago after a glowing review on BoingBoing.

It didn’t work from day one. Neither did the replacement. I was treated like crap by customer service. And then I had to deal with them again a year later when they charged the annual subscription fee even though we had canceled it because the product never worked.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.