Amazon struck secret deals with local cops to get them to push surveillance-camera doorbells

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/26/salesforce-policeforce.html

2 Likes

PD motto: “To Protect and to Serve Ads”

4 Likes

5 Likes

giphy

8 Likes

I suppose the police recommending you buy a camera is marginally better than their traditional response to package theft, which is to point at you and laugh.

3 Likes

Who could have foreseen this?

Oh yeah, pretty much anybody who took a moment to consider the implications of putting a networked camera on their door…

5 Likes

So now Lex Luthor has his own commercial poiice. Combine that with the modern cell phone and you get … BIG BROTHER. Nothing to see here. Go about your business. We run the world now, so hurry up and use your Prime.

1 Like

2f0nkk%5B1%5D

6 Likes

Huh, I did think it was weird that my city advertised a big discount on Ring cameras. There was no mention of law enforcement or networking the cameras. My city has a history of corruption when it comes to contractors lining pockets of mayor’s to get the city to buy product. Red light cameras were installed and ripped out within a year after a scandal broke.

2 Likes

And my son wonders why I don’t have an Echo, Alexa, Ring, Siri, etc., etc…

6 Likes

When cops are turned into a sales force, you know shit is fucked up. Next time a cop tries to push a product on me, I think I’ll act interested but insist on some other brand that they don’t mention. I’ll even offer to have him/her come down to the local Best Buy so we can compare options together. See where that goes.

1 Like

Phrasing?

This headline almost sounds like a polite door-to-door meet and great with your local police officer. Because it’s a surveillance camera doorbell, you’d be left with a pleasant picture to remember them by too. And as to why Amazon would want that, it’s anybody’s guess.

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Im so sick of this s*$t, fuck both Amazon and the police

1 Like

Given that sales people can be pushy assholes even without de-facto immunity and the training and equipment for a variety of pain-compliance techniques; I’m going to guess ‘not swimmingly’.

Can the free product later be used to get a video of the the officers that are requesting you to provide the data without a court mandate or is it forbidden in the ToS?

I would never, ever, allow those infernal machines near me or in my house.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.