Ring does not fight crime, say cops in 8 states whose PDs partnered with Amazon-owned home surveillance

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/17/ring-does-not-fight-crime-say.html

1 Like

I have a Ring doorbell that I got because of an operation, I couldn’t get to the front door in a timely manner.

The app is so bad it is unusable, I have never been able to answer the doorbell.

I will never buy this brand again and will check out the app at the store and make sure it is easier to use.

I am a computer consultant and have been using PC’s for over 30 years so I can figure almost anything out, This is one of the worst interfaces I have ever seen.

4 Likes

Just came to say: Shocked. Not shocked.

1 Like

I can’t tell if headline is making a mistake or intentionally disingenuous.

“Ring does not fight crime, say cops in 8 states” is very different from “they don’t know how many arrests had been made as a result of their relationship with Ring — and therefore could not evaluate its effectiveness

3 Likes

the company says “an installation of its doorbell cameras reduces burglaries by more than 50 percent”

extraordinary claims require etc. etc.

1 Like

And that’s totally a story worth reporting on. I don’t understand the need to misrepresent it in the headline here.

1 Like

I’m not surprised by this. Burglars aren’t stopping because of cameras, they’re just adjusting. My mother recently was surprised to find someone in her (fenced, secure) backyard who was wearing a ski mask. She yelled at him and he jumped the fence and ran off, so obviously he was just looking for an unoccupied house to break into (and hadn’t bothered to case the place at all), and wore a mask under the assumption that there would be cameras.

1 Like

You must be new to boingboing! (:wink: I know you’re not) Maybe with Cory gone Xeni decided to take over his inaccurate headline schtick.

6 Likes

It’s also notable to say that they’re tracking the number of arrests. A lot of the petty crime in my area at least seems to be juveniles so even when police are able to ID them, they can’t always do much about it. It’s also interesting that the focus of the article is on areas where the police have access to the full stream of video, which little to no mention about cases where the homeowner has already pulled out the footage. Is there a difference? Is anyone keeping track?

1ymvbd

1 Like

Keeps them off the streets!

1 Like

Well, if nothing else this sets the backdrop to back away from Ring before the class-acrion privacy suits start rolling in qithout looking “soft on crime”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.