American Airlines backs stewardess who announced she was "watching" Muslim passenger in Seat 25-A, then kicked him off flight

5 Likes

yeah so basically what they’ve determined is that this is an acceptable way to treat their passengers and by precedent, they feel other flight attendants can do similar things on their flights. how long before they flag other races that make them “uncomfortable”?

4 Likes

Sadly, the most surprising and unexpected thing about this story for me is that they still say “stewardess” in the UK.

Thing is, the pilot has few choices once there is a kerfluffle.

Boot the passenger, or boot a member of the flight crew (and thus ground the flight). I assure you they mostly don’t care who is in the back, they very much care that it is safe in the opinion of the crew.

Now, after the incident the airline itself had another option entirely, and was dead wrong to not determine this was both discriminatory AND unacceptable bullying of a passenger by the flight crew.

This passenger has a great case, and will likely receive a settlement from the airline. If the crewmember has a pattern of such nonsense, it will come around to roost. This was a career limiting move, for sure. And discriminatory.

7 Likes

precedent is a legal concept. Just saying, basically you’re mixing apples and oranges.

When this nonsense gets too expensive, the company will change. Not a moment sooner.

3 Likes

I’m uncomfortable so now I need to make everyone else uncomfortable. Even if it’s just shame making them feel that way.

Did she mean “I’ll be watching you” like in that song by The Police? Maybe she should have sung it like Sting - then everyone would be like “That’s so sweet. They must be in love.”

2 Likes

Even if she meant it like The Police, that’s not good. It’s not a romantic song.

17 Likes

it’s a concept that is often used in law to base future actions on but that is just a specific use of it,

precedent; an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances.

Whoever is in charge of these internal investigations has “thoroughly reviewed these allegations and concluded that no discrimination occurred.” So by this example, they’ve essentially defined policy for the rest of the employees.

4 Likes

Yes I am aware. Part of the joke.

5 Likes

Sorry. I honestly couldn’t tell if you were aware of that. Apologies.

edited to add missing word (can’t walk and type because I’m old)

5 Likes

:slight_smile: It’s my fault. I forget not everyone is inside my head with me. :slight_smile: Seriously - I do this regularly.

8 Likes

Excuses all the way down.

10 Likes

She must not get any international gigs…

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

― Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It

click on image to embiggen

14 Likes

This is what racism looks like. Pure an simple…

11 Likes

This is almost as democratic and constitutional as the no-fly list

:confused:

2 Likes

It’s just one part of the magnificent rainbow of racism!

5 Likes

I believe his questioning of poor treatment qualified as uppity

7 Likes

and if a judge were involved, I’d have agreed with the usage.

they’ve essentially defined policy for the rest of the employees.

In this case, corporations are under no obligation to do the same thing tomorrow. They can turn on a dime. Or on a 50K settlement.

The essence of courts and the essence of corporations are !same

A year or two ago I got thrown off a flight for being tipsy. Not acting up, not bothering anyone, not even being talkative to anyone, just settling in for a two hour nap. Supposedly another passenger complained, but I couldn’t tell you what about — “That guy’s breath smells like bourbon!” doesn’t strike me as adequate reason to hustle someone out of a plane, especially given how many people are claustrophobic or otherwise anxious about flying (I’m not, I love the actual experience of flying, it’s just all the attendant (ha!) bullshit I could do without.)

Anyway, fuck United. How come friendly auntie Braniff is dead yet United lives on like a hostile festering soulless corpse? There is no justice in this world, nor the next.

7 Likes