American Airlines disagrees that it overcomplicates things

2 Likes

If my boarding pass says Group 5 and I am in the 5th group to board, I call that a win then when Iā€™m in ā€œGroup 2ā€ and Iā€™m in the 5th group to boardā€¦ That sounds Simpler to me

2 Likes

A ā€˜more complexā€™ boarding process has the potential to simplify the boarding process; because planes are a bit cramped for passing someone in the aisle or to get to a seat, some permutations of passengers will load significantly faster than others(in an ideal world, everyone goes from gate to seat without having to pass or cross over another passenger, so a weighting toward window seats and seats further back in the plane); and the ā€˜everyone shoving so they can cram something absurd into the overhead binsā€™ is rarely the optimal load order.

In this case, though, it looks like the boarding order is pretty much 100% based on price discrimination, rather than improving load order, so the complexities in categorization are unlikely to be offset by improvements in efficiency.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Whatever plans they have will fail because the system is not implemented at the gate. Personnel donā€™t even look at the boarding group of the ticketholder so thereā€™s no incentive not to just go in group 1, and then you have everyone whoā€™s not in the currently boarding group standing closely around the gate so thereā€™s way to distinguish them from people actually in the current group waiting in line to board. Why pretend to have a system that is chaos in reality?

2 Likes

Attempting to justify the more expensive ticket bands?

1 Like

Not true, Iā€™ve seen the automatic systems recognize that they were not yet boarding that group and send people back.

2 Likes

Great! Never seen that.

1 Like

AA disagrees? Well. I guess that settles it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.