American conspiracy theorists keep insisting on their right to trial by combat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/16/boffer-swords.html

1 Like

It’s hard to believe that she wants a divorce.

He’s such a keeper!

43 Likes

I would have gone along with it and hired this guy as my champion.

8 Likes

All arguments between conspiracy theorists should be settled with trial by combat. Win win.

35 Likes

meanwhile in seattle

6 Likes

believe that they have discovered secret deep meanings in America’s founding documents

Time was we’d call that a SCOTUS justice.

5 Likes

The pigs were bored and didn’t feel like doing paper work involved in an arrest.

3 Likes

it’s a real law

3 Likes

Ok, but they all have to end something like this:

10 Likes

Vox Populi! Give them what they so justly deserve, a fitting end to their collective miserable lives.

2 Likes

Nothing else needs to be said. I think you nailed it.

1 Like

Reboing:

5 Likes

Sounds like a man in dire need of a realignment.

1 Like

Well, their alignment is definitely chaotic…

3 Likes

These chuckleheads serve a useful purpose, I think. Just when I am overwhelmed with the idiocy of government, these guys swoop in to remind me how much worse it would be without one.

8 Likes

If the court grants this, does the wife have to use a sword?

12 Likes

It’s dangerous for him to issue a challenge to use “blunted practice swords”; an iaito is an unsharpened aluminum bladed katana. A trained Iaido practitioner can easily maim and probably kill a person with one unless their opponent has a lot of swordfighting experience. Even a bokken (oak practice katana) is a very dangerous weapon in skilled hands.

7 Likes

Chaotic Stupid?

11 Likes

Iaito were introduced specifically to allow sword practice without violating Japanese weapon laws. In addition to not being able to hold an edge, cast aluminum is not great at handling impact. Yes the end is pointy, and getting hit in the right place could go poorly. But you are very likely to end up with a bent or broken piece of metal.

Now bokken on the other hand… Those can cause serious harm. Sasaki Kojirō may have an opinion or two on that :wink:

3 Likes

Exactly! I don’t see the problem at all.

1 Like