Gentleman asks a court for a legal sword fight with his ex-wife to settle custody and property tax disagreement

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/14/gentleman-asks-a-court-for-a-l.html

3 Likes

Pretty sure duels just fall under “murder.”

35 Likes

I’m smelling “sovereign citizen” all over this guy, except that he actually asked for permission from the court.

29 Likes

I’m smelling dumbass, with a pinch of liquid courage.

29 Likes

after hearing that duals have never actually been banned in the United States

Wasn’t Aaron Burr charged with Murder for his duel with Alexander Hamilton, back in 1804?

But also, this is the most neckbeardy thing I’ve read on this site in a long time. I’m kind of shocked the guy has to order the Katanas and doesn’t have several hanging on his wall in his mom’s basement. Or maybe he doesn’t want to damage his precious (replica) Hanzo steel? It would only make this story better if the judge somehow agreed and the guy brought some video game replicas to the duel.

14 Likes

Methinks thou art several sandwiches short of a picnic basket.

14 Likes

Traditionally, the lady would be allowed to choose a champion to fight for her.

Submitted for consideration:

22 Likes

I’m pretty sure duels were things that participants agreed to, rather than things the court ordered people to participate in? Something tells me this gentleman doesn’t really think of their ex-wife, or women in general, as having agency, though.

The first thing I’d do if I were the judge after being asked that would be to turn to the woman and ask if they felt threatened by that, if they thought there was a chance their ex-husband would actually come after them with a sword. Then if they said yes I’d pause the proceedings while we filed a complaint with the police for uttering death threats.

27 Likes

Go bat’leth or go home!

21 Likes

Pretty sure they are also “mutual combat” under Kansas law: illegal.

12 Likes

As does autocorrect, am I right?

1 Like

But he made it clear he would need 12 weeks “lead time” to get the Japanese katanas he has in mind.

#SwordGuy

3 Likes

If her ex wants to use katanas, she should choose a samurai who has truly mastered the blade.

9 Likes

I guffawed out loud at that.

6 Likes

The traditional German spousal judicial duel (as attested by Tallhoffer) involved the man standing in a 3-foot-deep hole with a club and the woman wielding a sap. The man wins if he drags the woman into the hole (or kills her) and the woman wins by dragging the man out (or killing him).

27 Likes

Still I think you need both participants to agree. Asking the court to sanction the trial by combat that the husband and wife have agreed to it one thing. Letting larger, stronger people and people with more combat experience say, “Judge, they can’t sue me, I’ll kill them!” is another.

12 Likes

To your point, I’m pretty sure that code duello specifies that the challenged party (in a social duel) gets to choose the weapon for this reason.

EDIT: Either way, dude’s insistence that he needs to wait for katanas is kind of bunk. Either the court chooses the duel format or the defendant would.

10 Likes

Maybe the flags didn’t have gold fringes on them.

12 Likes

Ok, but that picture looks like they are playing a medieval version of Whack-A-Mole?

22 Likes

I choose a dance off, motherfucker!

23 Likes