American Indian artist forbidden from calling her art American Indian-made

I still have not sat down to watch all of it, but my friend helped edit and was given an Producer title on this film, which is about a boy who ran away from one of the schools Indian kids were forced to attend and an Indian bounty hunter goes to bring him in.

1 Like

No. I’m half Kiowa and half Cherokee and I want to make Irish and African art, but they don’t have laws protecting their “authentic” art. This is not about the term Native. OK…now go:)

2 Likes

Sure: laws are almost all reactionary, they are rarely made before a problem gets publicized and impersonating those people isn’t publicized.

Plus there isn’t a handy federal definition of who’s Irish and who isn’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

My relatives (by marriage) in native communities always say "Indian"
We also celebrate “Thankstaking” ( but not around the old folks)

2 Likes

Rabbit-proof fence, on the same general subject

2 Likes

A full pension after 30 years doesn’t sound too appalling to me.

2 Likes

They don’t have anything to do with Amerigo Vespucci either.

9 Likes

I’ve seen “NDN” used by The Group That’s Native To North America, it’s an alright middle ground where they stick with the name they’re used to (a lot refer to themselves as ‘Indians’ at this point) without being quite as easily confused with people originally from India

As mentioned, there is a tragically similar tale in Australia, portrayed in the film Rabbit Proof Fence.

There is also this excellent related film, which shares some of the same cast:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.