American tourists in Israel packed "souvenir" of unexploded shell in suitcase, triggering mass chaos at airport

Originally published at: American tourists in Israel packed "souvenir" of unexploded shell in suitcase, triggering mass chaos at airport | Boing Boing

4 Likes

As one does.

20 Likes

Wonder how much more likely they are to explode in the reduced air pressure of the plane’s cabin.

5 Likes
16 Likes

Without their munition, one would assume.

15 Likes

To be fair, it would probably be hard to find enough lube in Israel to coat the thing so they were stuck leaving it in the suitcase

4 Likes

Such an American thing to do.

24 Likes

Lord forgive them, for they know absolutely, jack & shit.

8 Likes

A friend of mine flew from Ohio to California for a visit. For some reason he wanted to bring some sort of antique bomb shell to show me. This thing was about a foot long. At security they pointed out it might still have a live charge in it. So, they confiscated it.

Then, when he returned to Ohio, he was given it back.

Things were a bit different in 1988.

I’d also like to point out he now lives in Florida.

20 Likes

My dad did something similar once. In his defense, he was a little kid and it was the fifties. He considered it a grave injustice when my grandma made him throw it out. At least she never found his revolver before he could trade it for something better. Ah, the innocent fun of the good old days.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Call me jumpy; but a fuze that has been given a hard shock and 55 years to meditate upon its grievances would not be something whose nap I would risk disturbing.

19 Likes

Honestly, people like that should have chaperones with them whenever they leave the house.

2 Likes

You mean like most americans

1 Like

The pressure difference at 30,000 ft. might make the situation a bit riskier.

3 Likes

Tell me you’re an idiot without telling me you’re an idiot.

5 Likes

Oh, no, they told everyone they’re an idiot.

6 Likes

Well, you can’t really blame them for trying since technically they do have the right to bear arms *.

* Disclaimer: right to bear arms does not extend to munitions found outside the USA

1 Like

I sort of did that when I was goofing off on a treadmill. Except there was no empty space behind me, so I lay there on the still-moving treadmill. It was like a giant belt sander. I’ll grant that it was surely damned funny to watch…

Also, the munition looks a bit like IG-88’s head.

4 Likes

Is there any relationship between air pressure and the likelihood of explosion?